- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Oct 30, 2021
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Professional Fields, Vocational & Technical Fields, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Under the direct supervision of Associate Director for Facilities Operations, the Laborer primarily performs general unskilled manual labor, which includes a variety of general repair work and preventive maintenance that does not require journey-level skills, assisting with moving/relocation scheduled work requests, uses powered or non-powered cleaning and materials handling equipment and delivery trucks in University Housing Services (UHS). The Laborer performs other tasks such as the collection, segregation and recycling of various materials, the set up and break down of tables, chairs and canopies, the movement of furniture within/to/from an office, assists with relocation needs due to repairs and the set up and break down for annual Admitted Spartan Day and Opening Days. Performs all duties in their specific assigned work area and is responsible for performing duties in other work areas as needed. Work areas are located within the residential facilities and/or administrative offices and includes the Classics residence halls, the Campus Village residential facilities and/or the trash/recycling rooms. These duties also involve general non-maintenance repair work. This position independently performs a variety of semi-skilled facilities operations functions. Incumbents are responsible for maintaining the appearance and cleanliness of their work areas. The Laborer is required to use safe, approved methods and frequencies, which have been approved by UHS. This position will work an alternative work schedule
- Responds to daily service calls as assigned by Associate Director for Facilities Operations
- Maintains all tools and working materials in a safe condition and in proper working order
- Performs yearly preventive maintenance on all residential appliances as needed
- Replaces range/cooking stove filters in Campus Village residences
- Checks condition of all UHS furniture inventory annually; remove, replaces and repairs
- Removes recycling from common areas as needed
- Assist with the removal of all cardboard from all buildings during move in and move out periods
- Maintains recycling reports. Retrieves data and prepares reports as requested and required using manual and/or computerized recording systems
- Provides moving of residential furniture for custodial staff during summer turnover cleaning periods
- Delivers furniture within/to/from offices, residential rooms and common area
- Completes material handling delivery with powered and non-powered equipment on a regular basis
- Utilizes wet vacuum to clean flooded areas, electric tug in the removal of recycling bins from buildings to designed pick up area, and utilizes pressure-washing equipment
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to exercise care and follow instructions when using motorized equipment as well as follow simple oral and written instructions
- Ability to multi-task to support the “One Stop Shop” model of Higher Education Customer Service and coordinate deadlines
- Ability to use proper equipment including manual and motorized pallet jack, various size hand and flat trucks, forklift, panel carts, electric carts, state vehicle with lift gate
- Ability to perform strenuous manual labor, safely move heavy items in excess of 50 pounds, operate boom and scissor lift, use pressure washing equipment
- Ability to perform complex tasks involving independent judgment, accuracy and speed.
- Ability to observe rules, regulations and expectations to ensure a safe working environment
- Ability to work flexible hours, weekdays and weekends as needed
- Must be able to handle a high degree of customer contact
- Must be able to work alternative work schedule including weekdays, weekends and some holidays
- Ability to complete Defensive Drivers Training Program provided by State of California for CSU campuses
- Ability to complete and pass certification for Forklift Training
- Ability to be fingerprinted – must not have been convicted of a crime in which punishment could have been imprisonment in a federal or state prison
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate for the duties of the position and follow verbal and written instructions to ensure safety; perform regular strenuous manual labor; and safely move heavy items in excess of 50 lbs
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- High School Diploma or GED
- 2 years of experience in appliance and furniture repair
- 1 year of experience as a mover
- Experience in a University or Residential environment
- Basic computer knowledge in a work environment
Anticipated Hiring Range: $2,912/month - $3,456/month
Salary Range: $2,912/month - $5,048/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: October 30, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert