Washburn Institute of
seeks applications for a GED instructor for the
Kansas Department of Corrections (KDOC), Topeka Correctional
Facility (TCF) in Topeka, KS, to begin November 1, 2021. Adult
Education Services will be in the minimum security women’s
facility. Application materials should clearly articulate how the
candidate will contribute to the University's commitment to
diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, or
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Two years of teaching experience, particularly math.
- Proven experience building and maintaining positive
professional relationships with individuals from various
socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds.
- Master’s degree.
- Experience in secondary education.
The Technical Instructor position consists of four essential
functions: teaching, service, collegiality, and professional
- Adopt the curriculum used by the GED program; prepare lesson
plans and instruct students through individual instruction and/or
small group instruction; and at times via zoom or online delivery
- Perform effectively in the learning environment by being
prepared, maintaining discipline, and engaging students in the
- Take daily attendance and submit attendance weekly and follow
up with students who have missed class without communication.
- Collect and analyze student performance data with the Director
of Adult Education, Adult Basic Education (ABE) Coordinator, and
- Maintain records of student progress and contribute to the
documentation of the GED program for the mandatory grant
- Assess personal performance in teaching.
- Participate in college-wide staff development days,
departmental meetings and fulfill committee assignments.
- Submit budget and purchase recommendations.
- Act in a manner that promotes collegial relationships and shows
respect toward students, staff, and colleagues.
- Participate in graduation ceremonies and other ceremonial
events as pertains to the department.
- Seek opportunities for professional development or advancement
of educational degrees.
- Stay abreast of innovations and developments in the
professional field and take advantage of the University's
instructional support programs.
- Adhere to college and University policies and perform
additional job-related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
- Participate in recruitment and orientation efforts as
- Complete mandatory trainings offered through Kansas Board of
Regents and Kansas Department of Corrections (KDOC).
- In addition to these essential functions, these instructors are
expected to adhere to college, University, and KDOC policies to
perform additional job-related duties as assigned or as
Application review will begin immediately and continue until the
position is filled. To apply submit a letter of interest, resume,
copies of transcripts, copies of current credentials, and the names
and contact information of three professional references to
. Please use “Tech Instructor – GED Corrections Instructor” in the
subject line. The successful candidate will be required to submit
to a background check prior to hire. Official transcripts are
required once hired.
Washburn is an EOE and is dedicated to providing a student-centered
and teaching-focused academic and work environment. We seek
candidates who are committed to Washburn's efforts to create a
campus climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse
student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups
that have been historically underrepresented and/or marginalized in
Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its
programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color,
religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status,
or marital or parental status.