Sierra College has committed to foundationally re-engineer its
programs and services and eliminate equity and achievement gaps
using the Guided Pathways framework. Under administrative
direction, the Marketing Project Manager is responsible for
developing marketing and communication methods primarily tailored
to prospective, new, and currently enrolled students to help them
enroll, persist and complete their programs of study. The position
manages the District’s marketing efforts, branding and college-wide
student and prospective employee communications including
advertising, publications, website, social media, and email,
coordinating with other departments, and outside agencies and
ensuring that these efforts are culturally-responsive to the
populations being reached.
Sierra College has a strong commitment to the achievement of equity
and inclusion among its faculty, staff and students and values the
rich diverse backgrounds that make up the campus community. The
Marketing Project Manager must demonstrate a profound understanding
of and experience with successfully supporting individuals with
varying backgrounds. This includes persons with disabilities,
various gender identities, sexual orientation, individuals from
historically underrepresented communities and other groups to
ensure the District provides an inclusive educational and
employment environment focused on strategies for success and
equitable outcomes for all.
The following duties are typical for this classification.
Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be
required to perform additional or different duties from those set
forth below to address business needs and changing business
1. Serves as the primary custodian of marketing projects processed
through the department, which includes: coordinating all aspects
affecting the final product, monitoring project budgets, assuring
congruence with overall District plans and objectives, advising
clients on project options that can influence effectiveness and
performing other related activities.
2. Deploys marketing campaigns representative of diverse student
and employee demographics to promote and support District outreach
and new student enrollment and to engage and retain currently
enrolled students with inclusive and representative practices;
monitors, evaluates and adjusts methodology to ensure effectiveness
3. Manages the full scope of activities related to the development
and dissemination of a variety of marketing and communication
tactics and materials developed and produced through the
department, which includes the publications, videos, events,
promotional partnerships, brochures and other printed collateral,
print, TV, radio, and outdoor advertisements, internet advertising,
direct mailings, talking points, scripts, image development and
design, research, and/or other applicable items.
4. Oversees the production of materials (utilizing an equity
mindset) by providing direction to applicable individuals. Scope of
responsibility includes participating in or reviewing written
materials, editing, media buying, talent selection and scheduling,
client relations, working with staff on social media activities,
working with the team, on website issues and/or other related
5. Coordinates the district’s website, branding, marketing, and
multimedia and graphic design work and ensures that they are
culturally-responsive; assigns work tasks and projects through
effective project management.
6. Identifies and deploys innovative program metrics and
7. Works with Director of Marketing and Community Relations to
develop and implement marketing goals, objectives, policies and
priorities in alignment with district priorities.
8. Ensures the department provides excellent customer service to
college constituents in a timely matter.
9. Participates in the development of the annual budget; projects
funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies;
approves expenditures; implements adjustments.
10. Works with administrators, faculty and staff to organize,
implement, monitor and evaluate the marketing and communication
efforts and effectiveness of service delivery methods and
11. Provides streamlined processes to set priorities for work
assignments, monitors progress, reviews work products and ensures
products are delivered in a timely manner and that clients are
satisfied with the product.
12. Participates in relevant professional development; maintains
awareness of new trends and developments in the field of marketing
for higher education; incorporates new developments as
13. Recruits, hires, trains, motivates and evaluates marketing and
communications staff; provides or coordinates staff training; works
with employees to create goals and suggests improvements;
implements discipline and termination procedures; recommends
appropriate service and staffing levels.
14. Responds to and resolves inquiries and complaints.
15. Serves as marketing liaison with other divisions and
departments and represents the Marketing and Community Relations
department in a variety of on-campus meetings/events.
16. Performs related duties as required.
• Equity-minded marketing and communications
• Effective and innovative marketing and communication strategies
for public educational institutions, particularly for community
college students from varying backgrounds.
• Tenets of Guided Pathways.
• Current higher education trends in leveraging marketing for
student success initiatives.
• Social media platforms, especially Instagram and Facebook.
• Online content marketing and social media development
• Advanced knowledge of communication theory and basic layout and
• Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes and
• Supervisory concepts and practices, including organizational and
• Collaborative problem solving and conflict resolution
• Principles and practices of program development and
• Principles and practices of budget preparation and
• Principles and practices of supervision, training and performance
• Principles and practices of project management.
• Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and
applicable software applications such as word processing,
spreadsheets, and databases.
• Methods to successfully support individuals with varying
backgrounds, which includes persons with disabilities, various
gender identities, sexual orientation, individuals from
historically underrepresented communities and other groups.
• Oversee and participate in the management of comprehensive
strategic marketing and communication programs for higher
• Apply an equity-minded framework and ensure programs, services
and processes are designed and delivered to meet the varying needs
of all constituents.
• Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of
marketing and/or communication strategy and action.
• Maintain proficient technical computer skills, advanced knowledge
of communication theory and basic layout and design principle
• Interact and work effectively with a diverse population utilizing
exceptional interpersonal and intercultural skills in a highly
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Oversee, direct and coordinate the work of staff.
• Administer large program budgets and prepare clear and concise
• Respond tactfully, clearly, concisely and appropriately to
• Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project
consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in
support of goals.
• Meet critical deadlines while working with frequent
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Exercise sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse
academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity,
sexual orientation and ethnic backgrounds of community college
students, faculty and staff.
• Work unpredictable hours, including some evenings and
Education and Experience Guidelines - Any
combination of education and experience that would likely provide
the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way
to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education/Training: Bachelor’s degree in Marketing
or Communications or a related field.
Experience: Two+ years in marketing, advertising,
brand management, and communication.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met
by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of
this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job
Environment: Work is performed primarily in a
standard office setting.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient
physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to
stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop,
bend, kneel, crouch, reach and twist; to lift, carry, push and/or
pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office
equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination
including use of a computer keyboard; and to verbally communicate
to exchange information.
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or
without correction; vision sufficient to read computer screens and
printed documents and to operate assigned equipment.
Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or