Chief of Staff
The University of Missouri–St. Louis (UMSL) invites nominations
and applications for the position of Chief of Staff. Reporting to
the Chancellor, the Chief of Staff provides leadership and
coordination for the activities of the Office of the Chancellor;
represents the interests and priorities of the University; and
represents the Chancellor in various administrative matters across
the university, within the St. Louis and regional community, and at
the state and national levels.
The Chief of Staff oversees major projects and initiatives,
serves on committees, responds to internal and external concerns
and constituents, and – in collaboration with University Marketing
and Communications – develops, coordinates and assesses the
Chancellor’s high-impact communications. As an advisor and
collaborator, the Chief of Staff will ensure that the voices of our
many stakeholders are brought together to build unity within the
University, to keep the Chancellor’s Office focused on the
university’s mission and initiatives and to prioritize the
Chancellor’s daily activities.
This highly visible leadership role requires an individual with
outstanding interpersonal skills, including diplomacy, tact and
integrity. The successful candidate must be politically astute, a
highly capable communicator, a servant-leader dedicated to the
mission of public higher education for the state, region and
beyond, and eager to help transform the university into the leading
national urban public university.
The successful candidate must be highly organized and
detail-oriented, thrive within a complex environment, be capable of
carrying fast-paced change forward, all while simultaneously
keeping the Chancellor’s Office focused on the University’s mission
and strategic initiatives. The successful candidate must have a
proven track record of building collaborative relationships across
organizational lines and with key constituencies in the broader
community. Above all, this person must demonstrate the highest
ethics and confidentiality inherent in such a position.
It’s an exciting time to join the University of Missouri–St.
Louis. With an ambitious goal to become the top public, urban
university in the nation, UMSL has experienced unprecedented growth
in recent years. In the 2022 U.S. News & World Report “Best
Colleges” rankings, UMSL was once again regarded as a Tier 1
national university, moving up eight places to rank No. 118 among
all public universities. UMSL climbed 19 places in the overall
rankings, bringing its two-year rise to 42 places – the
sixth-highest improvement in the nation during that span. UMSL also
received its highest-ever total score in the 17 measures U.S. News
uses to inform the rankings.
Serving more than 15,000 students, UMSL continues to excel at
helping students improve their socioeconomic status by achieving a
college degree. The university ranks in the top 100 on U.S. News’
list of “Top Performers on Social Mobility,” which highlights how
well universities have graduated students who receive federal Pell
Grants. UMSL also boasts the largest alumni network in the St.
Louis region – more than 77,000 strong – who live, work, lead and
contribute mightily to the state’s most diverse and economically
- Serve as a member of the Chancellor’s executive leadership
team, direct and/or coordinate high-level initiatives and
- Serve as a liaison and provide oversight to internal staff
and/or external contributors to guide successful outcomes. Monitor
and evaluate impact and results, and report on progress to the
Chancellor and executive team.
- In partnership with appropriate offices and leaders, coordinate
the Chancellor in terms of local, regional and national engagement,
visibility and philanthropic activities.
- Represent the Chancellor and the University both locally and
nationally. Keep abreast of community, regional, state and national
events and issues relative to the University’s interests.
- Develop written and creative materials including
correspondence, strategic proposals, annual reports updates on
priorities to the Chancellor.
- In partnership with the Executive Assistant, serve as a primary
resource to prioritize the time and schedule of the
- Assist the Chancellor in convening groups to gather
information, develop briefing materials and coordinate key
priorities and projects.
- Perform research and policy review for projects and
initiatives. Oversee transfer of projects to other stakeholders as
- Provide independent analysis and judgment in prioritizing
situations needing attention and take steps to ensure projects are
moved forward and tracked for progress through completion.
- Independently handle high level or sensitive queries, concerns
and requests on behalf of the Chancellor. Utilize university-wide
resources as needed to solve problems and mediate disputes.
- Serve as the Chancellor's liaison with Vice Chancellors, Deans
and other Senior Directors and Administrators and in the broader
community. Establish and maintain strong collaborative
relationships with Vice Chancellors, across the University and with
- Within the scope of position duties, responsible for seeing
that operations are effective and efficient, assets are
safeguarded, reliable financial data is maintained and compliance
is upheld with applicable laws, regulations, policies and
- Serve as a liaison and collaborator with colleagues across the
University of Missouri System to further advance and elevate the
University’s mission and strategic initiatives.
- Judgement and ability to work independently
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to convene groups and work across all level of the
- Leadership poise to appropriately represent the Chancellor and
- Ability to handle highly sensitive information and maintain
- Strong project management skills and the ability to manage
multiple and competing priorities
A Master’s degree and at least 5 years of experience from which
comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is required.
Preferred qualifications/experience include the
- Substantial work experience with an organization's chief
executive and senior management team
- Experience collaborating, engaging and communicating with high
profile external constituents
- Proven ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced work
- Excellent communication and editing skills in verbal, written
and presentation formats
- Experience with strategic planning, assigning project metrics
and the implementation and monitoring of key initiatives
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with
diverse internal and external constituents
- Demonstrated political savvy and discretion
Full Time/Part Time:
Salary commensurate based on experience and education
NOMINATIONS, APPLICATIONS, AND SEARCH
Nominations, applications, and inquiries can be made through our
Electronical submission of application materials is highly
encouraged and should include a letter of interest, a full
resume/CV, contact information of at least five references, and a
statement on promoting inclusivity and diversity. Applicants will
be notified before references are contacted.
UMSL will start reviewing applications 11/7 and close the search
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
The University of Missouri–St. Louis (UMSL) is committed to
inclusive campus community that values and
respects all its members and achieves educational excellence
through diversity, equity, and inclusion.