Truman College is seeking a Field Advisor/Trainer to provide
academic and career advisement and professional development to City
College of Chicago recipients of the Chicago Early Learning
Workforce Scholarship (CELWS), which serves an important role in
Chicago’s effort to expand access to early learning programs across
the city and build a more robust workforce that can help the City
expand high quality early learning programs.
The Field Advisor/Trainer is responsible for providing mentoring,
coaching and training to students seeking credentials, degrees and
certificates in a field related to early childhood education at
City Colleges of Chicago.
Education, Training and Experience
- Mentors and advises students on education plan development,
graduation planning and petitions, practicum planning and petitions
and transfer opportunities. Assists students and practitioners with
completion of required forms.
- Conducts individual and small group orientation and information
sessions to review scope of the program and requirements.
Participates in student recruitment activities.
- Conducts site visits as needed
- Meets with program participants and graduates on a regular
basis to provide advice and support. Refers students for supportive
student services as needed.
- Recommends specific academic courses needed by practitioners.
Suggests ways to improve classroom practices.
- Prepares and presents workshops, seminars and lessons essential
to the success of the practitioners and students in the program.
Develops new material as necessary.
- Attends monthly staff meetings, relevant conferences and
professional meetings to maintain knowledge of research and trends
in the field of child development, social work, Head Start, NAEYC
and youth development.
- Contributes to quality assurance efforts, which include data
gathering and sharing on progress and areas of improvement of
students on caseload(s).
- Develops and maintains relationships with relevant CCC
cross-campus departments, scholarship leadership, and external
partner institutions and agencies.
- Supports implementation of the CELWS and City of Chicago
mission and vision for the early learning workforce and field.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in
Early Childhood Education, Education, or a related field.
- Five years of work experience in Early Childhood Education as a
teacher or trainer.
- A combination of education and experience may be taken into
consideration based on the applicant’s credentials.
- Understanding of State of Illinois Early Childhood Education
service and professional development systems preferred.
- Moderate proficiency in the use of Microsoft (Work, Excel,
PowerPoint, Teams) and data and record keeping systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in early childhood
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication
skills. Proficiency in use of technology for communication (Zoom,
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse environment.
- General office environment
- Some travel to work sites
Full health benefits, 403(b) & 457(b) investment plans, paid
vacation/holidays and City Colleges tuition waiver. Plus, you will
enjoy working with a group of people who really love what they do.
For a more detailed overview of benefits visit our benefits
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within
six months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action
Thank you for your interest in CCC!
- Demonstrated willingness to lead, take charge, and offer
opinions and direction.
- Demonstrated willingness to take on responsibilities and job
- Demonstrated ability to be reliable, dependable, and to fulfill