Dakota State University seeks a dynamic, energetic, and ambitious
individual to serve as a full-time, 12-month, live-in Residence
Hall Director for the department of Residence Life. The position
will oversee 1-2 residence halls and/or off campus housing
locations and supervise Residence Assistants in those
1. Build a sense of
community and ownership amongst residents.
2. Advise hall councils and assist in the development of
self-governance and community participation.
3. Address common community issues in a timely manner.
4. Provide training and guidance to assist in the development of
programming goals to staff, students, and student groups.
5. Assess student staff programming efforts and offer
6. Mediate conflicts between students or staff, as necessary.
7. Pro-actively seek out and meet with at risk students and refer
to other professional services, if necessary. 8. Adjudicate
assigned conduct cases of residential students following processes
set by the student code of conduct.
9. Educate students and staff about policies and conduct
10. Serve on the on-call duty rotation
11. Hire, train, supervise, and develop student resident assistant
12. Execute crisis intervention (when applicable).
1. Significant evening and weekend
availability is essential in this position.
2. A bachelor’s degree is required.
3. A valid driver’s license.
1. A bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Sociology, Human Development,
or related field is preferred.
2. Prior experience in the field of residence life is preferred but
DSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To
apply, visit https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu
The employment site allows the attachment of a cover letter, resume
and supporting references to include address and telephone numbers
of at least three references. Review of applicants will begin
immediately and continue until position is filled. DSU
is located in Madison, South Dakota in the southern lakes region of
the state. The region boasts a wealth of outdoor sports and a
life-style possible only in smaller towns and rural communities.
Madison is just a 50-minute drive from Sioux Falls, the largest
city in South Dakota.
Dakota State employees receive a comprehensive and flexible
benefits package including paid time off, health and retirement
benefits, and life and disability insurance options. Other benefits
include reduced tuition, longevity pay and training opportunities.
DSU also provides professional liability coverage.
DSU is committed to recruitment, hiring, and retention of
Applicants with disabilities are invited to identify any necessary
accommodations required in the application process. E-Verify,