Research Engineer II, Data Engineer
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and
the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our
world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students,
faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the
confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations—in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London;
Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto;
Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and
Nahant—are nodes in our growing global university system. Through
this network, we expand opportunities for flexible,
student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused
Northeastern's comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate
programs— in a variety of on-campus and online formats—lead to
degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among
these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees
designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and
About the Opportunity:
The Kostas Research Institute (KRI) focuses on research and
applications relating to national security challenges. Our diverse
geospatial AI initiatives and prototype development have a current
focus on force readiness and force protection to drive geospatial
data to decisions and action. We are seeking a talented and
motivated Geospatial Data Scientist /Engineer to join our growing
team and collaborate with a cross-disciplinary team of engineers,
PhDs, and Professors, as well as work independently. As a member of
our technical staff, you'll be working in our private cloud and/or
Azure to ingest a wide variety of data, run advanced machine
learning algorithms, and apply data science principles. We value
candidates who have interests in multiple areas from databases to
DevOps/DeepOps to API design and are keen to learn in new areas and
For superior candidates, we may consider options for remote
work. Proximity to our satellite campus locations is preferred
(Burlington MA, Seattle WA, and Arlington, VA).
be travel to other KRI sites as required for conduct of the role
(< 25% travel).
- Build processing pipelines from which computer vision
scientists can ask geospatial and temporal questions.
- Keep data ingest and processing pipelines up-and-running within
security parameters of ITAR/EAR and CUI space, potential
extensibility to classified realm.
- Make data storage high accessible, and scalable.
- Contribute own ideas to machine learning.
- Participate in small and tactical development teams using agile
development principles, sprint planning, product and sprint backlog
grooming, and standups etc.
- Participate in customer meetings to present and discuss
technical plans and milestones
- MS degree, or equivalent experience in relevant technical
- 1-5 years previous research experience
- Familiarity with Linux systems, SQL, docker, k8s
- Fluency in Python is required; experience in other languages
(e.g., R, C+, C++) is valuable
- Proficiency with git and modern distributed version control
- Code examples (preferably on github / bitbucket / etc) are
- Knowledge of high performance or large-scale computing
- Familiarity with satellite, CubeSat and/or UAV data (LiDAR
experience is a plus).
- Ability to communicate out and document progress (e.g. in
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking
to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and
staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its
forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect
that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability
status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and
support of diversity and inclusion, please see
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/508221