Position Description Summary/Purpose :
This position is an integral part of the Finance team and performs
a broad array of accounts payable duties. It operates in a
fast-paced, team-oriented environment with the common goal of
supporting the mission of Goodwin University.
Essential Job Functions/Primary Responsibilities :
(The essential functions or duties listed below are intended
only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be
performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not
exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a
logical assignment to the position.)
- Assigns and/or reviews general ledger codes for items such as
invoices, expense reports, check requests, etc. to ensure proper
entry into all accounting systems.
- Reconciles all University credit card activities in a timely
manner and ensures on-time payment of balances.
- Enforces all University spending policies and other internal
controls, including a detailed travel & expense policy.
- Handles vendor correspondence via phone or email.
- Maintains vendor contracts for proper payment and timing of
vendors and consultants
- Handles the purchase order process, including reviewing all
purchase orders and reconciling supporting documentation with
- Provides training to new hires in other departments related to
payables policies and procedures.
- Investigates and resolves problems associated with processing
of invoices and purchase orders.
- Prepares batch check runs.
- Researches and resolves a variety of routine internal and
external inquiries concerning account status, including
communicating the resolution of discrepancies to appropriate
- Handles tracking and disbursement of petty cash.
- Weekly trip to local bank(s) with personal vehicle (mileage
reimbursed by Goodwin University).
- Utilizes online banking system to research vendor check
matters, including initiating stop-payment orders and positive
paycheck data uploads.
- Daily trips between on-campus locations for general business
matters, including movement of cash and checks (with personal
vehicle, mileage reimbursed).
- Files maintains and distributes accounting documents, records,
- Sets up and maintains vendor accounts.
- Assists with annual 1099 prep and filings.
- Provides documentation to auditors upon request.
- Conducts all work in a safe manner and all work safety
practices are followed.
Knowledge, Ability and Skill :
- Performs similar or related work as required, directed or as
- Continues professional development and training; keeps current
- Assists other department staff as needed to promote a team
- Microsoft Excel/Word skillset required
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multi-task; must be detail oriented
- Open to change and willing to learn new skills
- Ability to follow up on pending issues, problem-solve, and meet
- Ability to work well in a team environment
Education, Training and Experience :
- Associate’s degree in accounting, finance or business or
equivalent experience is required.
- 1+ years accounts payable and/or general accounting
- Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains system experience
Special Requirements :
Physical and Mental Requirements :
1/3 to 2/3
- Valid Driver’s License and insured vehicle
Outdoor Weather Conditions
Work with fumes or airborne particles
Work near moving mechanical parts
Risk of electrical shock
1/3 to 2/3
Talking & Hearing
Using hands/fingers to handle/feel
Climbing or balancing
Bending, pulling, pushing
1/3 to 2/3
Up to 10 pounds
Up to 25 pounds
Up to 50 pounds
Up to 75 pounds
Up to 100 pounds
Over 100 pounds
X Close vision (i.e. clear vision at 20 inches or less)
X Distance vision (i.e. clear vision at 20 feet or more)
X Color vision (i.e. ability to identify and distinguish
X Peripheral vision (i.e. ability to observe an area that can be
seen up and down or
left and right while the eyes are fixed on a given point)
X Depth perception (i.e. three-dimensional vision, ability to judge
___ No special vision requirements
(This job description does not constitute an employment
agreement between the employer and employee. It is used as a guide
for personnel actions and is subject to change by the employer as
the needs of the employer and requirements of the job