Truman College is currently seeking a Part- Time Student Mentor to
work in the Department of Instruction. The Student Mentor will
advise, guide, and serve as a role model for other students as they
transition to college life.
- Peer mentorship for high school in the Title V grant cohort:
current and graduated from the 13 partnered Chicago Public High
School partnerships to support engagement in financial education
and college information outreach
- Explains CCC system to interested students; helps students
become aware of College resources; advises and refers students to
appropriate College resources.
- Provides information on study techniques, organizational skills
and learning aides to support the student’s transition to college
- Meets with assigned mentee(s) to advise twice per month.
- Assists with setting goals and works toward accomplishing
- Advocates for mentee as necessary.
- Attends mentor training sessions as required.
- Records observations and submits reports to assigned supervisor
- Must be willing to undergo a one-week paid mentoring training
- High School Diploma required or actively pursuing a GED at the
City Colleges of Chicago
- Knowledge of City Colleges of Chicago, student activities,
college resources and student services; knowledge of specific major
- Good interpersonal skills with a positive attitude and ease in
relating to people from a variety of educational, cultural and
- Demonstrated good study techniques and skills.
- Good oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of computer software programs.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of
- Applicants must be 16 years or older, have work permit consent,
and eligible to work in the United States
- Applicants must be actively attending one of the City Colleges
- Applicants must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit semester
- Applicants must be pursuing an approved educational credential,
degree, or certificate
- Applicants must have and maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA
(waived for first semester new students)
- Applicants must be in “good standing” – no City Colleges of
Chicago academic restrictions
- Applicants must not be current Full or Part-time employees of
the City Colleges of Chicago
- All positions are “employment at-will”