* This position will be located in the College of Technology.
Directs the development, implementation and administraton of
business operations for a highly complex college or division.
Engages in strategic planning and analysis, and services as point
of contact for fiscal and administrative matters.
1. Directs overall strategic planning as well as the creation and
implementation of annual budget. Reviews budget and personnel
reports submitted by subordinates, and conducts analyses and
2. Provides financial accountability and ensures compliance with
state, university and external funding agencies. Provides direct
oversight of college's business staff in charge of financial and
3. Serves as resource to dean, chairs and directors on strategic
financial and administrative matters, as well as policies and
program development. Writes policy statements, facilitates
management decisions, and engages in long-range planning and
4. Leads major projects, which may include capital construction,
building renovation, and the creation of new departments and
5. Directs procurement operations, including contracts, purchasing
6. Oversees the administration of the college's accounting records,
including sponsored project accounts. Ensures compliance with
applicable policies and procedures and supervises business audit
7. Oversees the administration of the human resource and payroll
processes for the college, including position budget management,
faculty affairs, and staff performance evaluation.
8. Interprets university policies and procedures and arranges for
staff training as appropriate.
9. Serves as liaison with executives and administrative offices
regarding fiscal and operational issues. Represents the college or
division on committees and in other administrative contexts.
10. Performs other job-related duties as required.
Bachelor's Degree and 5 years of experience.
Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical
aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline; or
the basic knowledge of more than one professional discipline.
Knowledge of the discipline is normally obtained through a formal,
directly job-related 4-year degree from a college or university or
an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is
directly related to the type of work being performed. Requires a
minimum of five (5 years of directly job-related experience.
Experience will not be considered in lieu of education.
Education will not be considered in lieud of experience.
The ideal candidate for this position should possess the
- Higher Education experience and familiarity with current and
future trends and developments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including
ability to explain budget and finance concepts and information in
terms understandable to faculty and staff.
- Service leadership skills including mutual respect, active
listening, responsiveness, empathy, advocacy, and
- Ability to take initiative, problem solve, exercise excellent
judgment, demonstrate critical thinking skills and adapt to
shifting priorities in a diverse setting.
- Ability to clearly interpret and implement policies and
- Experience in Human Resources administration.
- Experience in budget planning and financial management.
- Experience managing externally-funded grants.
- Experience organizing and participating in strategic planning
- Experience managing contracts.
- Experience managing revenue.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Highest level of professionalism and respect for
- Ability to interact with all levels of internal and external
- Established network with major interface units on campus such
as other colleges, Facilities, Division of Research, Controller's
Office, Treasury, Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, Human
Resources, Office of Contract Administration, Advancement, and
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Master's Degree preferred.
- Experience with PeopleSoft Finance and HR preferred.
- Experience with Hyperion Planning preferred.
- Relevant University of Houston experiences preferred.
The following documents are required:
- Cover letter delineating the manner in which your work
experience applies to the posting.
- Salary History
- Three work references. The hiring department expects you to
name current or past supervisors.
NOTE: We will maintain your confidentiality and notify you in
advance of making contact with any of your references. References
will be contacted only after the interviewing process has been
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.