ADULT EDUCATOR – GED AND ESL – PART TIME
METROPOLITAN CORRECTIONAL CENTER - MALCOLM X COLLEGE
Malcolm X College is looking for an Adult Educator to join the
Adult Education Team to teach General Education Development (GED)
and English as a Second Language (ESL) courses at Metropolitan
Correctional Center. The courses are scheduled Monday through
Thursday in the morning.
The City Colleges of Chicago Adult Education programs provide open
access for learners from diverse backgrounds that deliver
high-quality education to prepare students to transition
successfully into college, career pathways, the workforce and/or to
meet personal goals as lifelong learners. In collaboration with
community partners, the City Colleges of Chicago Adult Education
program provides students with supporting services to meet their
social, emotional and academic needs, leading to economic mobility.
The mission of Malcolm X College is to provide accessible liberal
arts and health-focused education that fosters personal and
professional achievement. To fulfill this mission, we focus on the
following core values: accountability, community, diversity,
empowerment, learning, and respect.
NOTE: This position is for an Adult Educator who will be
teaching in-person GED and ESL classes at Metropolitan Correctional
Center. Experience teaching adults in a correctional facility is
- Develops class syllabi & appropriate class materials &
curriculum for class instruction.
- Takes attendance & monitors class enrollment.
- Evaluates student progress & extra instruction needs;
refers students to tutoring as needed.
- Administers progress tests to students & assigns grade
based on test results.
- Prepares reports to senior management regarding test scores,
student participation & student progress.
- Keeps abreast of state rules & regulations regarding Adult
- Stays abreast of pedagogy of teaching & adjusts teaching
- Attends regular staff meetings with Adult Education Managers
& Adult Education Coordinators to received information
regarding program policies & procedures.
- Assists with program registration.
- Participates in staff development programs as required.
- Performs related duties as required.
- To provide instruction to students enrolled in Adult Education
Program at the City Colleges of Chicago in areas such as Adult Base
Education (ABE) & Adult Secondary Education (ASE).
- A Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited
university/college in a discipline appropriate to the instructional
subject, preferably English, Mathematics, Reading, Elementary or
Secondary Education, Social Science, Science, History, ABE/GED
Education, TESOL and/or Education required.
- A Master's degree or higher from a regionally accredited
university/college in Curriculum and Instruction, Teaching,
Reading, Mathematics, Educational Policy, Literacy Studies, Adult
Education, TESOL, Secondary Education or Elementary Education
- Demonstrated experience teaching English language learners
- Submitted sample lesson plans, syllabi and/or teaching
portfolio that reflect skills in area(s) of instruction, including
computer literacy and adult learning practices.
- Knowledge of current adult education classroom assessment
- Passed the GED practice examination and/or ISBE/CPS
certification examination for the subject area assigned to
- References and work experience contacts verified, including
instructional experience with adults, with at least one of the
- K-12 certification
- Verified significant instructional experience with adults or
other discipline related experience
- 15 graduate hours or more in the discipline that they will be
- Current enrollment in a subject appropriate, master’s degree
program at an accredited university/college.
Unofficial transcripts are required at the time of interview.
Official transcripts are required prior to any offers of
For the second time in three years, Malcolm X College was selected
as a Promising Places to Work in Community Colleges award winner!
The award is given by the National Institute for Staff and
Organizational Development (NISOD), a membership organization
committed to promoting and celebrating excellence in teaching and
leadership at community and technical colleges, and Diverse: Issues
in Higher Education, a leading academic publication.
MXC was recognized for its best-in-class student and staff
recruitment and retention practices, inclusive learning and working
environments, and meaningful community service and engagement
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of