The Web Services Director strategically and tactically leads the
technical aspects of the University's public web sites and related
back-end infrastructure. The Director is a functional, technical
manager who leads a team of developers. The primary
responsibilities of the team are performing back-end development,
operating the public web back-end systems, and maintaining and
configuring the Content Management System (CMS).
Serves as the high-level coordinator of activities for the
cross-functional technical team responsible for the public web.
Cross-functional team operates the public web infrastructure,
develops web sites, and is responsible for the quality of the
University's public web sites.
Manager of Web Services
- Management of staff resources, including recruitment,
supervision, retention, evaluations, and corrective action. Manages
the budget of Web Services, including the selection, procurement of
software and related purchases for Web Services.
Technical Lead for the Public web
- Works with the public web team from Web Services and University
Communications to understand current and future public web
- Leads the discovery, feasibility analysis, and prototyping of
future-state technical tools, systems, software, architecture, and
protocols for incorporation into the public web's technical
- Recommends developer tools to the web development team.
- Collects and/or co-defines business and technical requirements
for the public web that will have an impact on the technical
infrastructure and incorporates those requirements into technical
selections and architecture.
- Oversees the public web team's individual web development
environment using Docker and required software.
- Mentor technical staff on the technical architecture and any
technology or developer tools needed.
- Ensure that the technical architecture is forward-looking, cost
effective, secure, meets business and technical requirements, and
is technically correct.
Cross Functional Public Web Team Shared Leadership
- Collaborates with the AVP and Director of User Experience in
University Communications on priorities, sequencing of projects,
tasks, and technology changes, including evolving back-end web
systems to support front-end interfaces that drive the University's
digital marketing strategy.
- Voices Web Services priorities for the public web team's
- Advises and assists on the removal of impediments from the
public web team's work.
- Arranges and facilitates public web team meetings and events as
needed to advance cross-functional and Web Services work.
- Mentors the public web team and individuals in team norms,
values, principles, and communication practices.
- Uses standard project management practices to manage projects
that are complex and/or large.
- Facilitates project planning for complex and/or large projects
including requirements elucidation and brainstorming, risk
assessment, and mitigation/contingency planning and
- Delegates project management duties where possible.
- Assists others on the public web team in managing projects by
mentoring staff, facilitating project management planning and
execution meetings, developing checklists and assessments, and
other models or tools for usage by the team.
Software Architect and Developer
- Works with public web staff and campus units to collect and
understand requirements for software services and
- Designs back-end applications that meet the public web's
technical architecture and business requirements.
- Conveys system designs and assists other developers in
developing back-end and web applications including code reviews,
test cases, testing, and more.
- Develops and tests web and back-end software applications and
- Works with the public web team to co-define PHP development
environment tools & setup.
Information Services Leadership
- Work with the CIO and other IS leadership team members to
advance the business and reputation of IS.
- Participates in IS strategic and tactical planning and
- Represents IS across the University as needed.
- Performs CIO-directed tasks and duties as an IS leadership team