Reporting to and receiving work lead direction from the Assistant
Vice Provost of Undergraduate Advising & Success (AVP UAS), the
coordinator provides administrative and clerical support to the
Undergraduate Advising & Success unit, which interacts with all
eight College Student Success Centers as well as units in Student
Affairs. The position is responsible for office coordination,
website maintenance, managing calendars, maintaining data for
reports, scheduling and coordinating events, and special projects.
The position contributes to creating and sustaining a responsive
environment for SJSU students, staff and faculty. This position
also acts as the front-line receptionist greeting students and
visitors; maintaining office filing systems and performing
additional support functions. This position will reside in the
department of Undergraduate Advising & Success.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Provides office support for the Undergraduate Advising &
Success Center (UASC) and its staff.
- Makes appointments and manages calendars as needed for AVP
- Receptionist, answers phones, greets students, faculty and
staff and provides up-to-date, correct information about the
Undergraduate Advising & Success unit.
- Manages logistics and processing of student petitions and
requests, including analysis of appropriate documentation,
communicating with students about next steps, and routing to the
appropriate approving administrator and the Registar.
- Coordinates and makes travel or room arrangements for meetings
and workshops. Includes liaising with outside vendors, and
university units across departments and divisions.
- Procurement and reconciliation of purchases and receipts for
the UASC and the AVP UAS.
- Assist in directing students to appropriate campus
- Manages undergraduate advising email inbox
- Assists in communication with campus wide undergraduate
advising community and students, including social media, and live
- Applies academic policies and procedures relating to
undergraduate advising at SJSU.
- Updates and maintains advising website
- Manages student workers
- Demonstrated ability to handle interpersonal interactions at
all levels and handle highly sensitive interpersonal situations.
Ability to defuse strongly emotional student responses.
- Ability to clarify institutional policies and procedures for
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle
sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Ability to analyze operational and procedural problems and
develop, recommend, and evaluate proposed solutions.
- Strong oral communication skills. Must possess excellent
customer service and public relations skills. Excellent
interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Thorough, comprehensive knowledge of and ability to interpret
and apply a wide variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies
and procedures, particularly relating to General Education and
student rights and responsibilities.
- Ability to make independent decisions and exercise sound
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, business writing,
punctuation and spelling.
- Ability to compose and format correspondence and reports.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple work
priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Expertise in using office software packages (MS Word and
Excel), technology and systems.
- Ability to use a range of technology, systems and packages.
This includes Office Suite, PeopleSoft, EAB, OU Campus, Adobe
- Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational
program, or their equivalents combined.
- Three years of related office work experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience with computer skills and working knowledge of common
software suites (Microsoft, Google, and Adobe), along with data
entry and web content management systems
- Experience in organizing and maintaining records and data on
- Experience with customer service, office administration and
project management, social media, and event coordination
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,800/month - $4,150/month
Salary Range: $3,352/month - $5,639/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits
package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more
information on programs available, please see the
Employee Benefits Summary
**Application period has been extended to January 14,
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application
and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period:
October 22, 2021 through November 7, 2021. This position is open
until filled; however, applications received after screening has
begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing
campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a
medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates
advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to
comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The
system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal
records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a
contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may
be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying
information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly
withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily
complete the background check may affect the continued employment
of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment
and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor
vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks
are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate
Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU
will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of
required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS.
(e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated
reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting
Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in
CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to
nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship
status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic
information, marital status, medical condition, national origin,
race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation,
transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable
federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students,
faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the
Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state
laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education
programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off
October 22, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight