As a direct report of the Vice President of Research, Economic
Development and Graduate Education (VPREDGE) at Montana State
University, the Associate VP for Research Administration (AVPRA)
leads and manages Research Administration at MSU. As such, the AVP
oversees all University policies and procedures relating to
research, grant and contract administration; research and
regulatory compliance; internal research award programs; and
economic development. The AVPRA provides leadership in increasing
total research funding, expanding the University’s reputation,
serves as University liaison to external public and private
sponsored programs funding agencies, and seeks and manages
externally funded University-wide projects as appropriate.
Sponsored Programs activity is in excess of $150 million annually.
The AVPRA also represents MSU at state and national level by
serving as a spokesperson and advocate for the research
Duties include, but not limited to:
- Assists the VPREDGE in the development, enhancement and
implementation of research services to meet the ever-changing needs
of a growing and vibrant research university.
- Serves on VPREDGE Executive Leadership Team.
- Interface in a leadership capacity on behalf of REDGE with
central administration, colleges and units to ensure research
compliance, including the Graduate School, Procurement Services,
Human Resources, Information Technology, Budget Office, Provost
Office, Asset Management, University Business Services, Payroll,
Legal, Audit Services and Safety and Risk Management
- Oversees the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) functions
including policy and procedure development relating to research,
award negotiations and management (both financial and
non-financial), reporting, cash management, compliance,
subcontracting, and award closeout.
- Coordination of pre-award activities in conjunction with Office
of Research Development.
- Directs the OSP Information Technology infrastructure and the
electronic research administration portals that interact with MSU
to handle proposals, awards, research compliance to ensure accurate
and timely delivery of services as required by federal, state and
- Serves as the Authorized Organization Representative for
extramural funding documents for OSP and other central
- Develops and delivers research administration training and
interpretation of regulations to faculty, departmental staff, OSP
staff and other central offices.
- Coordinates, prepares and submits annual National Science
Foundation Higher Education Research and Development Survey
- Represents MSU at state and national level by participating in
national professional organizations, such as Council on Government
Relations, National Council of University Research Administrators,
Federal Demonstration Partnership and the State of Montana Office
of the Commissioner of Higher Education and Governor’s Office.