The Department of English at the University of Houston-Downtown (UHD) seeks applicants for a tenure-track position as Assistant Professor of English (Early Modern British Literature, including Shakespeare). Those with additional qualifications in dramatic literature, critical race studies, and/or first-year composition are preferred.
UHD is a vibrant urban university, federally designated as both a Hispanic-Serving and Minority-Serving Institution. With one of the most diverse student bodies in the nation, UHD seeks to recruit and retain a diverse community of scholars. The Department is particularly interested in candidates with a commitment to teaching and mentoring students from historically underserved communities. Opportunities are available to collaborate with the Center for Latino Studies, the Center for Critical Race Studies, and the Cultural Enrichment Center, each housed in UHD’s College of Humanities and Social Sciences.
The teaching load is 3/4, with a 3/3 load for the first year.
- PhD in English at time of appointment
- Demonstrated record of research on and teaching Shakespeare’s plays
- Demonstrated record of research on and teaching Early Modern British Literature
- Teaching experience or publication record in at least one of the following areas: dramatic literature, critical race studies, first-year composition
- Teaching experience in poetics or creative writing