The Community Engagement and Equity Coordinator plays an
important role in planning community events, assisting with
administrative projects, and presenting useful information and
resources to the community. The position is dual role serving
two offices, and reports to the Dean of Students and the Director
of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
The Coordinator will provide support for the wide-ranging
diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) efforts within William James
College. The Coordinator will manage logistics for programs and
events, develop promotional materials, collect data and coordinate
campus partners for programs such as the Council for Inclusive
Excellence, Healing Racism Workshops, Inclusive Insights, DEI
signature events, and other ongoing DEI-related work. They will
work directly with the student government and student organization
leaders to collaborate and support student leadership. They
will assist with managing logistics for Dean of Students
programming and the coordination of data in the Academic Resource
Center. This candidate should have some background in student
affairs, strong skills in program management and written and oral
communication, and knowledge of diversity, equity and inclusion
issues related to higher education. Also, an understanding
and appreciation of college student engagement, learning and
success theories including the relationship between learning
environments/climates and college outcomes.
The Coordinator must demonstrate respect for all members of the
College community in the course of performing duties; welcome and
recognize the value of diversity, equity and inclusive excellence,
and must have a demonstrated history of working effectively with
multiple identities (race, creed, color, religion, national
origins, age, sex, pregnancy, disability, veteran or military
status, sexual orientation, gender identity or associational
preferences). Must be able to make decisions and exercise a high
level of autonomy, use independent judgment and recognize the need
for a high level of confidentiality.
- Assist with coordinating logistics for Dean of Students
- Research & enter job listings and employer information into
our Career Link online system;
- Promote and support student leadership initiatives of
Department ACES, the College LEAD Team and student
- Create and manage Dean of Students monthly (email)
- Maintain, update, and create information for webpages managed
by the Dean of Students Office (this does not require the ability
to build pages; it is focused on content);
- Take notes at important student meetings such as LEAD Team
meetings or community Town Hall;
- Promote Dean of Students programming through creating and
sending out event fliers and emails;
- Assist with collection of data and student feedback for the
Academic Resource Center;
- Develop and maintain an outreach program to work with student
- Assist with the coordination of our community service projects
and online service resources;
- Assist with administrative projects as needed;
- Coordinate implementation of DEI related programs, events and
- Assist in the development of promotional materials for events,
staff events, and coordinate staffing schedule for events.
- Manage the DEI programs, including scheduling training sessions
and campus events, managing communication with student
facilitators, ensuring that student facilitators and others
involved have any necessary materials, and tracking evaluation
- Manage logistics for the Council for Inclusive Excellence,
Healing Racism Workshops, Inclusive Insights, DEI signature events
and other DEI work.
- Guide community to resources on DEI policies and procedures, as
well as event management.
- Support communications on DEI work, including creating event
registration links, updating web pages, drafting copy and providing
social media support.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position will require some evening hours during the
semester, and occasional weekend work.
- Excellent interpersonal, collaboration, and team-building
skills. Able to establish and maintain effective and cooperative
working relationships with others, while also working
- Ability to troubleshoot most problems and respond to all
inquiries and requests related to work area.
- Bachelor's degree and 3 years of directly related work
experience, or a combination of education and experience.
- Commitment towards racial and social justice and equity,
including a culturally humble approach to work
- Experience working with, graduate students, non-traditional
students, and/or students from marginalized populations
- Experience with graduate student life, current knowledge of
best practices and initiatives to support graduate students in
- Technical qualifications include solid knowledge in MS Office,
other office software such as Publisher/Photoshop, and experience
with a content management system.
- Interest and experience in designing and implementing
high-quality activities, programs and services for students.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Professional attitude and strong customer service skills.
- Applicant must be able to assume employment in the U.S. without
Please send cover letter and resume to Michelle Costa,
Human Resource Recruiting Manager, at HR@williamjames.edu.
Applications will be reviewed when submitted, and considered until
the position is filled.
Inclusive Excellence at William James
William James College is an institution and a community
committed to the principles of excellence, fairness and respect for
all people. Our Inclusive Excellence model infuses diversity,
equity and inclusion efforts into the core of institutional
functioning to realize the educational benefits of diversity both
locally and globally. We are committed to strengthening
communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development
of the intercultural competencies necessary for change agents in an
increasingly complex, pluralistic society.