The Department of Languages and Literature at Austin Peay State
University seeks a tenure-track Assistant Professor in Rhetoric and
Composition / Writing Studies who will teach classes in the
discipline and serve as the Writing Program Administrator for
The First-Year Writing Director will provide vision and leadership
for all initiatives related to the first-year writing program,
including establishing a FYW Mission and Vision and
overseeing the Enhanced FYW program. The Director will be
responsible for developing curriculum grounded in best practices
and participating in general education assessment. The Director
will also provide leadership for all sections of the first-year
writing sequence including mentoring adjunct faculty and working
effectively with constituencies across the college such as the
Writing Center and Distance Education. The Director will organize,
lead, or co-lead pedagogy workshops and work with faculty to
develop and revise first-year writing courses and programmatic
goals for both online and traditional classroom spaces.
Austin Peay State University is a four-year public, doctoral-level
university, with six colleges and four Chairs of Excellence. The
university has an enrollment of approximately 10,000 students and
is located in Clarksville, Tennessee, a community of an estimated
150,287 people located approximately 40 miles northwest of
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- The typical teaching load for APSU faculty is 4/4,
but the First Year Writing Director will have a reduced teaching
load commensurate with administrative duties.
- Provides leadership, strategic vision, and innovation in design
of the First-Year Writing program.
- Mentor and observe non-tenure-track faculty teaching first-year
- Participate in General Education assessment process with
- Conduct appropriate research and scholarly/creative activity
within the discipline.
- Be available and knowledgeable and demonstrate proficiency in
the practice of academic advisement of students.
- Demonstrate evidence of continuing professional development and
growth by being suitably active in professional and community
- Exhibit motivation and initiative in keeping up-to-date and
current in one’s curriculum area by reading/reviewing current
scholarly or creative works in their field and by attending
conferences, seminars, workshops, courses, and development
activities sponsored by the University.
- Serve effectively on committees and other appropriate functions
that assist in University governance.
- A background check will be required of the successful
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience teaching a diverse student population, particularly
first-year and first-generation college students and a commitment
to employing innovative best practices for FYW.
- The English department is developing a new concentration in
professional and technical writing that may benefit from the
expertise of the successful candidate.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- A PhD in Rhetoric and Composition or related field from an
accredited institution by July 2022.
- Experience with writing program administration.
- Evidence of excellence in teaching undergraduate courses in
rhetoric and composition.
- Documented record of research in the fields of rhetoric and
composition, writing program administration (WPA), writing across
the curriculum (WAC), writing in the disciplines (WID) or related
- Experience working effectively with diverse student
- Experience coordinating first-year composition
- Experience training new teaching assistants
- Expertise in writing program assessment
- Experience teaching first-generation college students
Apply at https://apsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/13522