The Campus Security Officer is responsible for ensuring the safety
of students, faculty, staff and visitors, responding to
emergencies, and protecting campus property. The position requires
the ability to work shifts as scheduled, including weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts foot and vehicle patrols to promote lawful behavior
and protect the welfare of the community by
- providing a uniformed presence on campus.
- Secures Buildings and property and responds to calls requesting
assistance, escorts and calls of disturbances.
- Locks and unlocks buildings as well as monitors surveillance
and fire alarm systems.
- Enforces parking regulations and controls traffic during
- Acts as first responder and provides medical assistance.
- Requests sworn officers and supports and assists sworn officers
- Writes and submits Incident Reports.
- Trains other Campus Security Officers when required.
- Work as a dispatcher in the absence and assigned
- Must be able to pass criminal background check.
- Must have clean driving record and be legally permitted to
drive in the state of PA.
- One year experience in a security related field preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and self-awareness in order to
control stressful and emotional situations and to detain or
- subdue potentially dangerous individuals.
- Must convey a positive, pleasant and helpful attitude as a
representative of the College.
- High school graduation or the equivalent is required.
- Current first aid/CPR card preferred.
- Must be able to make rapid and accurate decisions during
- Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Stand or walk constantly for up to an entire shift on various
surfaces tile, concrete, carpet.
- Climb stairs, ramps, or ladders occasionally during shift.
- Occasionally bend/twist at waist/knees/neck to perform various
- Run as needed.
- Constant use of eyes correctable vision to normal level
required to observe, read, interact with public and coworkers,
- view security monitors; includes hand/eye coordination.
- Work in various environments including adverse outdoor
conditions such as cold, rain or heat.
- Constant mental alertness and attention to detail required
while setting priorities and following up on assignments
- Ability to pass physical examination by a certified
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list
of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor
are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities
required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe
the general nature of the position.
Job Description Status
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are
illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and
responsibilities may be assigned as required. Washington &
Jefferson College reserves the right to amend or change this job
description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description
and any attachments do not constitute or represent a