Eckerd College Library seeks an energetic, self-directed, forward
thinking librarian for the Instruction and Outreach Librarian
tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor
to begin August 2022. Reporting to the
Director of Library Services, the Instruction and Outreach
Librarian will assume multiple leadership responsibilities in the
areas of information literacy program development, library
instruction, outreach, reference services, and learning assessment.
This librarian serves as liaison to the Natural Sciences
- The Instruction and Outreach Librarian is responsible for all
aspects of Eckerd College's information literacy program,
developing an inclusive instruction program that supports student
- Providing leadership and vision, the Instruction and Outreach
Librarian works collaboratively with the other faculty librarians
to encourage, develop, and facilitate integration of information
literacy initiatives within both the general education program and
- Develops new opportunities for library instruction by working
collegially with faculty in all disciplines.
- Acts as the liaison to the first year experience, and leads the
continuation of the library's orientation and Personal Librarian
programs for first year and transfer students.
- Responsible for collecting and analyzing data, assessing
student learning outcomes, and evaluating the effectiveness of the
information literacy program.
- As the library liaison to the Natural Sciences Collegium, this
position provides library instruction for the science disciplines
and collaborates with faculty regarding resource and service
- Create and maintain online research guides in support of
corresponding learning outcomes.
- Provide reference and research assistance (10-12 hours each
week) in person, by phone, email, zoom, and proactive chat.
- Oversees the scheduling of the reference desk for all
librarians and the training, mentoring, and supervising of part
time reference librarians. Ability to work well with a diverse team
of library faculty and staff is essential.
- Remain current regarding issues and trends related to access
services in college libraries by attending conferences and online
training and following listservs and professional journals.
- Participates in the design and implementation of library
Faculty and Community:
- Participate in the faculty governance structure by serving on
- Teach in the general education program on a rotational basis as
needed and as approved by the Director of Library Services.
- Maintain currency, nourish professional growth, and contribute
to advancing the image of the college by actively participating in
professional library organizations, publishing endeavors, and/or
other library related research activities.
- Encourage and promote cooperation among area libraries by
developing good working relationships with other local
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication
- Ability to set priorities and to adapt to a rapidly changing
- Strong technological skills, including proficiency in Google
Apps for Education, Microsoft Office Suite, and citation tools,
- Work schedule will include reference rotations.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and independently.
Education and Experience:
- MLS/MLIS/MIS degree from an ALA accredited program is
- A minimum of one year of professional experience that includes
providing instruction in an academic library is required.
- Experience with and strong commitment to reference service and
instruction in an academic library.
- Undergraduate or advanced degree in a scientific discipline is
- Experience with assessment of library instruction is
Eckerd College, the only independent national liberal arts
college in Florida, has a tradition of innovative education and
teaching/mentoring excellence. Submit a letter of application,
curriculum vita, and contact information for three references via
Applications for this position will be accepted
until January 14, 2022. Inquiries may be sent
to Lisa N. Johnston, Director of Library Services,
Eckerd College is committed to fostering a diverse faculty,
staff, and student body, and an inclusive campus community. Eckerd
is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the
basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age,
gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or
any other characteristic protected by law. Eckerd College is
especially interested in attracting candidates from historically
Employment will require a successful background check.
Eckerd College requires all employees to have been fully
vaccinated for COVID-19. To request a medical or religious
exemption from the vaccine requirement, please contact Eckerd Human
Resources at 727-864-8332 or email@example.com