Eckerd College Library seeks an energetic, self-directed, forward
thinking librarian for the Access Services Librarian tenure-track
position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin
August 2022. Reporting to the Director of Library
Services, the Access Services Librarian provides leadership,
management, vision, and planning to facilitate access to materials
needed for learning, teaching, and research while creating an
inclusive and collaborative working environment. Responsibilities
consist of maintaining high customer service standards, ensuring
the smooth delivery of circulation functions, oversight of course
reserves, shelf management, and resource sharing operations. This
position supervises up to two full-time staff members, two
part-time library assistants, and multiple student assistants.
- In consultation with the Director of Library Services, plan,
develop and enforce policies for the Library Services Desk and
Interlibrary Loan ensuring high customer service standards and
courteous conflict resolution with library users.
- Supervise Access Services staff in circulation and interlibrary
- Provide support for the technological systems required to
support and troubleshoot Access Services functions (Ex Libris/Alma
Primo ILS and OCLC Tipasa (experience preferred).
- Serve as the first point of contact for reporting library
facilities and safety issues to Library Administration for follow
up and resolution.
- Compile and report access services statistics for
institutional, state, and national reports.
- Participate in collection development, including the
acquisition and withdrawal of items from the library's
- Provide reference and research assistance (10-12 hours each
week) in person, by phone, email, zoom, and proactive chat.
- Serve as library liaison to the Behavioral Sciences Collegium,
and as an active member of that collegium, report on library
activities, ascertain their needs in terms of collection
development and services, and offer suggestions about possible
resources for inclusion in the library.
- Participate in the library instruction program by teaching
information literacy classes in the liaison area, and other areas
- Create and maintain online research guides in support of
corresponding learning outcomes.
- Remain current regarding issues and trends related to access
services in college libraries by attending conferences and online
training and following listservs and professional journals.
- Participates in the design and implementation of library
Position Directly Supervises:
- Public Services Supervisor
- Evening/Weekend Circulation Assistant(s)
- Interlibrary Loan/Circulation Assistant
Faculty and Community Responsibilities:
- Participate in the faculty governance structure by serving on
various campus committees.
- Teach in the college's general education program on a
rotational basis, as needed and as approved by the Director of
- Maintain currency, nourish professional growth, and contribute
to advancing the reputation of the college by actively
participating in professional library organizations, publishing
endeavors, and/or other library related research activities.
- Encourage and promote cooperation amongst area libraries by
developing good working relationships with other local
- Prior experience in a supervisory role leading a department or
unit is preferred.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication
- Ability to set priorities and adapt to a rapidly changing
- Strong technological skills, including proficiency in Google
Apps for Education, Microsoft Office Suite, Ex Libris Alma/Primo,
and OCLC Tipasa.
- Work schedule may include evening and occasional weekend
- Minimum of 1-year professional experience in an academic
Education and Experience:
- MLS or equivalent degree from an ALA accredited institution is
- Academic background in one of the social sciences is
- At least one year of experience that includes staff supervision
in an academic library is required.
Eckerd College, the only independent national liberal arts
college in Florida, has a tradition of innovative education and
teaching/mentoring excellence. Submit a letter of application,
curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references via
Applications for this position will be accepted until January 14,
2022. Inquiries may be sent to Lisa N. Johnston, Director of
Library Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
Eckerd College is committed to fostering a diverse faculty,
staff, and student body, and an inclusive campus community. Eckerd
is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the
basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age,
gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or
any other characteristic protected by law. Eckerd College is
especially interested in attracting candidates from historically
Employment will require a successful background check.
Eckerd College requires all employees to have been fully
vaccinated for COVID-19. To request a medical or religious
exemption from the vaccine requirement, please contact Eckerd Human
Resources at 727-864-8332 or email@example.com