MIDE (Missouri Institute for Defense and Energy)
MIDE is seeking a Senior Electrical Engineer who has and can
demonstrate deep knowledge of & mature experience in the
detailed design, fabrication, validation, and analysis of
high-power electromagnetic generation to support the high power
microwave development group. Experience in solid-state switching
technologies, pulse forming networks, pulsed power electronics,
computational electromagnetics, high-voltage and RF circuit
design/layout architecture, and standalone/arrayed antenna design
is a plus. This position requires a solid foundation in
electromagnetic, power electronics theory and application. Hands-on
experience is vital and required.
The ideal team member will demonstrate:
- a passion for solving high-impact, real-world problems;
- a hands-on, pragmatic problem solving approach for
mission-critical applied research;
- the ability to operate in agile and dynamic working
environments as a core team player and independent individual;
- creativity and versatility in designing, prototyping, and
validating pulse power solutions for complex electrical and
- a curiosity, openness, and willingness to learn new skills,
methods, systems, and technologies;
- effective verbal and written communication skills to inform and
guide team-members; and,
- excellent organizational skills to prioritize and execute on
both long-term and short parallel assignments.
- Work within the HPRF Team on R&D projects and develop
technologies while acting as a pathfinder for resolving extreme
- Executing, assisting, and mentoring students and staff in
multiple R&D efforts:
- design of pulsed-power, high-power electronic, RF, and
directed-energy components and systems;
- mitigation techniques for high power EMC;
- packaging, mounting and integration of electronic architecture
within a system;
- performance/oversight of sub-system, component-level, and full
- communications, controls, and data acquisition of system and
- modeling, simulation, and visualization of electrical systems
- developing innovative antenna, waveguide, transmission lines,
and related components;
- Documentation including but not limited to technical reports
and briefings as required.
- Work and communicate well within one or more teams.
- Strong communication, both verbal and written, and
- Interface with multiple engineering and non-engineering
cross-functional team members.
- Generate and justify application driven requirements and
illuminate tradeoffs to balance the mechanical, electrical,
thermal, and radiofrequency needs of the system, including
- A Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education
and experience and at least 3 years of experience from which
comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired.
- Ability to acquire and maintain a United States security
Full Time/Part Time
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering plus a minimum of 3
years direct experience OR Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering
plus minimum of 1 year of direct experience
- 3+ years of RF Engineering experience with similar projects as
- Antenna Systems: Antenna System Analysis, Phased Array
Subsystems, High Power Subsystems, Antenna Subsystems including
Phase Array Subsystems, Array Analysis, Electromagnetic Analysis,
Array Calibration, Signal Level Analysis, Assembly, Integration and
Test at the System and Subsystem levels
- RF/Microwave Design: Simulation and Layout, Passive Circuits,
Amplifiers, Ferrites, Component Test, Material
- Antenna Design: Radiating Elements, Reflectors, Feedhorns,
Radomes/Frequency Selective Surfaces, Simulation and Layout,
- Strong academic background that includes courses in: Antennas,
Phased Arrays, Microwave
Engineering, Electromagnetic Theory and Radar Systems
- Knowledge/experience in high peak-power antenna design (~UHF
thru X-band, or higher).
- Experience with platform-conformal antenna techniques.
- Design of single/multi-band low profile antennas, waveguides,
transmission lines, and baluns.
- Knowledge and ability to use design and simulation software
such as ANSYS-HFSS, FEKO, COMSOL, 3DS-Antenna Magnus, EagleCAD,
Altium, and LTspice.
- Antenna characterization, including near-field, far-field, and
compact-range based methods.
- Experience testing to MIL-STD and other recognized standards
- Custom design of microwave components such as transitions,
polarizers, duplexers, and filters.
- Experience in meta-materials, frequency-selective surfaces,
and/or reflect-arrays is a plus.
- Leadership, project management professional and team
- Existing Secret clearance or ability to obtain an interim
Secret clearance prior to start date.
- Professional Engineering license.
- Teaching, mentoring and coaching experience for all ages,
Full time, Monday–Friday, 8 am – 5 pm or comparable. As a
results-orientated organization, we support flexible schedules.
Expect occasional travel for research collaborations, conference
attendance, and offsite briefings.
Minimum $53,600/annum - Midpoint $75,296/annum - Maximum
$96,992/annum. Commensurate with experience and education.
UMKC offers a competitive salary, affordable medical and dental
plans, 403(b) savings plan, and University paid long-term
disability and life insurance benefits. Full benefit details may be
found at: https://info.umkc.edu/hr/total-rewards/benefits/
Open until filled
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter,
resume, and list of three references with contact information) into
one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB.
Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (800)
The Missouri Institute for Defense and Energy (MIDE) at the
University of Missouri-Kansas City, is a fast-growing research
institute founded to solve real-world problems by synthesizing
physics and engineering principals with a pragmatic, results-driven
and collaborative philosophy. Whether it’s restoring health and
wellness in the urban food-desert, or developing state-of-the-art
anti-drone technologies to protect our cities or troops, we’re on
The team is growing and we have an outstanding opportunity for a
Senior Electrical Engineer. You would work with us in solving
wicked challenges in defense, energy, and health by transitioning
fundamental solutions requires a team of highly specialized,
knowledgeable, and passionate individuals who seek answers to hard
questions in a collaborative environment with world-class research
organizations from coast-to-coast.
For more information about the history of MIDE and our diverse
team, check out our website:
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and
applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated
ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis
of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression,
age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status
protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not
be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of
religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military
organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of
Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more
information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If
you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or
functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative
Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use
the following links:
UMKC Statement on Diversity
UMKC values diversity as central to its mission as an urban-serving
research university and as a driver of excellence in teaching and
learning. UMKC embraces a broad spectrum of diversities, including
race, ethnicity, culture, nationality, gender, age, sexual
orientation, disability, linguistic ability, learning style,
religion, socioeconomic and veteran status, life experiences,
educational level and family structure. For more information on our
diversity mission, visit the Office of Diversity and Inclusion
UMKC is the largest comprehensive, fully accredited university in
the Kansas City area. Our students come from all 50 states and over
85 countries, enriching our community with diverse perspectives.
With more than 125 academic areas, our students have a lot of
opportunities to explore on their way to discovering and creating
their perfect career. We are at the heart of a thriving urban area
where the city’s life and energy influence everything that happens
here. We are Kansas City’s university and we can’t wait for you to
join us! Find out more about UMKC in the About UMKC section
Details about UMKC’s community and the benefits of being an
employee can be found on our careers page.