Public Information Specialist
Full Time/Part Time
The increased need to provide the public with unbiased, credible
information on issues related to climate change, forest and
watershed health, and catastrophic wildfires requires that NMFWRI
have a public relations program. NMFWRI will hire a communications
coordinator with the skills to craft media releases, prepare
literature and develop social media programs that will inform the
public on the importance and goals of forest restoration using
social media platforms, graphic design, marketing, advertising, and
other public relations techniques. This position will also help
increase the awareness among the public, state and federal
agencies, and non-profits of NMFWRI’s activities and goals. This
person will help NMFWRI staff create, develop and bring to life
compelling forest and watershed restoration stories and narratives
across New Mexico.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Responsible for increasing visibility and awareness of NMFWRI and
its programs through online and social media, press and media,
radio and other public relations efforts.
· Responsible for developing media-driven approaches for
communicating issues and activities related to the health of New
Mexico’s forests and watersheds
· Manage updates and changes to NMFWRI’s website.
· Manage and produce content for NMFWRI’s social media
communications, including Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
· Coordinate NMFWRI’s media relations efforts and serve as point of
contact for press and media.
· Find and execute opportunities to promote NMFWRI and its work
through traditional and online media sources such as letters to the
editor, op-eds, radio and blog posts.
· Assist in the development, design, and production of annual
reports and other major NMFWRI publications, white papers and
· Manage NMFWRI’s photo library and assist in finding images for
NMFWRI communications and marketing products.
· Help develop short videos showcasing NMFWRI conservation efforts,
and showcasing NM community narratives.
· Develop video narratives that showcases NMFWRI’s efforts to build
student capacity in forestry practices that have led to successful
careers in natural resources
· Provide writing and editing support as needed, including for
opinion pieces, press materials, and other documents.
Develop and manage email distribution list (constant contact or
similar system) for NMFWRI
Coordinate with NMHU University Relations to avoid mixed messages
and/or duplication of effort.
Minimum Job Requirements
· EDUCATION :
Bachelor’s Degree in Communication,
Journalism, Marketing, English, Media Arts, Natural Resources, or
· EXPERIENCE :
1 year of experience on the job working as a
communications specialist and/or related field. 1 year experience
managing websites and social media outlets.
· EDUCATION :
Master’s Degree in Communication, Journalism,
Marketing, English, Media Arts, Natural Resources, or Related
· EXPERIENCE :
2 years’ experience working as a
communications specialist and/or related field. 2 years’ experience
managing websites and social media outlets. 1 years’ experience
with Adobe Creative suite software. 1 years’ experience using Word
Special Conditions for Eligibility
· Must have a flexible schedule, some travel may be required.
· Must have a current New Mexico driver’s license.
· Must provide a writing sample as part of the application.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Experience using various social media platforms, including
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to
work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse
· Experience communicating science to a lay audience
· Skill with computers and software such as Adobe’s InDesign,
Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat; Social Media software; Web
software (WordPress); and Microsoft Office
· Ability to write newsletters, bulletins and other informational
materials for distribution
· Ability to write and create compelling content that drives
engagement across a variety social media channels
· Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written.
Knowledge of technical writing techniques. Excellent writing,
proofreading and editing skills
· Ability to work independently
· Standing Frequently
· Sitting Frequently
· Walking (cross country) Infrequently
· Bending Frequently
· Squatting Infrequently
· Kneeling Infrequently
· Lifting (30lbs or less) Infrequently
• Work is performed in a typical interior/office work
• Work with frequent interruptions;
• Some travel may be necessary;
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
Work Location/Campus Center
Las Vegas, NM Campus
New Mexico Highlands University is an affirmative action, equal
opportunity employer, making decisions without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected
class. We are committed to the University values of diversity,
accessibility, excellence, and responsiveness.
For disabled access or services call 505-454-3242 or email
Visit the link below for more information regarding affirmative
action and equal opportunity:
Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
A complete online application must include: 1) Letter of
interest/cover letter; 2) Resume; 3) Three (3) professional
references in online application; 4) copies of unofficial
transcripts, and 5) Writing Sample. Candidates who are invited for
on-campus interviews will be required to submit official
transcripts. References will be contacted in conjunction with
on-campus interview. Upload required materials with online
application. For disabled access or services, call (505) 454-3242
or contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org NMHU IS AN EQUAL
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of
- Are you available to work in the evening (6 pm to 10 pm)?
- Are you available to work weekends?
- Cover Letter/ Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcripts Conferring Required Degree
- Writing Sample