Summary of Job Duties and
This position is responsible for
the efficient and effective management and reporting of the
University's financial resources and information. Responsible
for leading the financial team in managing the University's
accounting policies, systems and processes, tax and regulatory
compliance, cash management, internal controls and financial audits
in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
(GAAP). Responsible for the planning and direction of the
accounting operations and procedures in the following functional
areas: accounts payable, payroll, grants and contracts accounting,
plant/capital construction accounting, financial reporting, general
ledger, and budget management and development. This
individual is expected to engage with all areas of the University
in a leadership role to strengthen the overall effectiveness of the
University's financial operations, making recommendations and
implementing improvements and best practices in operations and
internal controls. In addition, the position is responsible
for analyzing and providing supporting data for financial/budget
trends, university-wide decision making and oversight of the
University's financial resources.
Candidates will need to demonstrate how they would create a
supportive and inclusive environment for faculty, staff, students
and the campus community.
Minimum Education Requirements:
- Direct and supervise the accounting staff to achieve
departmental and university goals and to provide quality support
services to the University community.
- Coordinate and oversee the annual external audit, HB622
Compliance Review, the OMB Single Audit, NCAA Agreed Upon
Procedures and program audits.
- Ensure documentation and adherence to university and
departmental policies and procedures, related to areas of
responsibility. In addition, provide oversight for the continuous
improvement of processes and implementation of best
- Lead the department to focus on more electronic and automated
means of reporting, data gathering and routine processing
- Manage cash and investments, which includes maintaining banking
and financial services relationship
- Manage debt service obligations, meeting bond requirements as
well as arbitrage responsibilities.
- Oversee the processing, maintenance and upgrade of all ERP
(Banner) and peripheral financial systems modules.
- Structure, review and analyze routine financial reports,
quarterly financial statements and ad hoc financial analysis. These
may be for internal, state, federal and private
- Assist the VPFAS in managing the budget development and
maintenance processes, including budgetary position control and
state biennial budget reporting.
- Prepare budgeting modeling scenarios and track financial
indicators to assist with monitoring performance and financial
- Establish and maintain internal controls to ensure compliance
with GAAP, state and federal tax authorities, and other regulatory
- Interact with counterparts at other state universities within
the Commonwealth of Kentucky to help address common issues, stay
current on state initiatives and utilize as a resource for best
- Monitor university financial resources and report deviations to
Vice President or appropriate individual.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Experience and Skill Requirements:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in
- Current Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification.
Preferred Education and/or Experience
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in
higher education financial management with direct responsibility in
areas of fiscal analysis, internal controls, asset management,
budget, accounting and financial reporting.
- Knowledge of current and changing federal and state accounting
requirements and regulations.
- Extensive managerial and supervisory experience.
- Strong understanding of principles of finance and accounting,
- Have a high attention to detail, ability to think analytically
and be a problem solver
- Must be energetic, have high ethical standards, a strong and
committed work ethic and be well respected among peers.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication ability
and strong technology skills.
- A Master of Business Administration (MBA) and/or a Certified
Management Accountant (CMA) is highly desirable.
- Experience with higher education auditing services, federal
grants management and Ellucian/Banner ERP systems.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Murray State
University is an equal education and employment opportunity, M/F/D,