Assistant Coach/Physical Education Instructor - Part-time
Kern Community College District
Position Closing Date:
Initial Screening Date:
Open Until Filled:
$60 per hour/Instructional
Flexible, as needed
Sick Leave Only.
This position is not eligible for health benefits.
This is for an applicant pool that will be used to staff short-term
temporary hourly positions during the 2012-2013 academic
This is an adjunct, part-time coaching and physical education
instructor in the Division of Physical Education and Athletics -
assistant coach for volleyball, men's/women's basketball, softball,
and/or baseball. This assignment includes coaching and teaching a
variety of sport specific skills, physical education, and fitness
courses to a student population that is highly diverse in terms of
academic preparation, cultural, socioeconomic, and ethnic
backgrounds as well as physical and learning abilities. This
assignment will also require coaching at games/tournaments that are
scheduled in the evening and/or Saturdays.
Education and Experience:
Master’s in physical education, or education with an emphasis in
physical education, kinesiology, physiology of exercise, or
adaptive physical education, or exercise science
- Bachelor’s in any of the above AND
Master’s in any life
science, dance, physiology, health education, recreation
administration, or physical therapy
- The equivalent*. Certain combinations of
education, experience, and other accomplishments in the field may
be judged as equal to the stated minimum qualifications for these
positions. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent
qualifications must request and submit an APPLICATION FOR EQUIVALENCE
Supporting documents must be included with the completed
- A sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic,
socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of
community college students.
*Equivalence by Professional Experience
Bachelor’s degree in any subject with a minimum of 2 years
intercollegiate athletic completion experience plus a current
CPR/First Aide certification; OR
Associate of Art degree or
higher with minimum 4 years paid coaching experience plus a current
CPR/First Aid certification.
*Equivalence by Eminence
Amateur or professional athletic experiences that demonstrate
eminence in the field of athletics or physcial education plus a
current CPR/First Aid certification.
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a vaild California
- Current CPR/First Aid certification
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions
(Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the
United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be
evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening
committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the
number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications
for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Provide coaching, instructional, and/or non-instructional
services as specified by assignment in a diverse campus and
- Maintain a course outline for each assigned course.
- Keep accurate records of student enrollment, attendance, and
- Provide current course orientation materials including syllabus
and course outline to each student.
- Maintain currency in subject matter and/or service
- Communicate with students and staff in a professional
- Demonstrate versatility in coaching/instructional methodology
and versatility in serving a diverse student population.
- Be familiar with and observe appropriate college and Board
policies, and current guidelines governing college sports, i.e.
COA/CCCAA, CVC, NCAA.
- Willingness to promote Porterville College through community
service and outreach within the local community.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Completed application packet must include:
- Successful experience as a head coach/assistant coach at the
college or university level, or as a head coach at the high school
- Expertise in physical education/fitness, recreation, health
education/wellness, nutrition or related fields and a
specialization in coaching.
- Recent teaching experience in physical education, health
education or a related field.
- Energy, enthusiasm, and commitment to excellence in
- Experience in and demonstrated recruiting contacts.
- An understanding of the advantages and challenges of developing
and maintaining a program and team sports in a small, rural
- Ability, interest, and willingness to develop and maintain
working relationships with local high schools to facilitate
recruiting and articulation of the sports program.
- Ability to deliver instruction using strategies designed for
diverse learning styles.
- Willingness to work with students from diverse backgrounds,
skills, and abilities.
- Completed Online Faculty Application for Academic Employment
- Current resume
- Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
- Copies of legible transcripts
- Copy of current CPR/First Aid certification
- List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in
the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/12222
Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community
College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to