Child Development Center Assistant, Substitute and Short-term
Temporary Hourly Pool, as needed
Kern Community College District
Position Closing Date:
Initial Screening Date:
Open Until Filled:
Short-term Temporary Hourly
$10.20 per hour
This position is not eligible for benefits.
This is for an applicant pool that will be used to staff short-term
temporary hourly positions.
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, provide assistance
to the teaching staff in the supervision and instruction of
preschool children and infants; provide services relating to child
care, food service, and housekeeping.
Education and Experience:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school
supplemented by six semester units of course work in early
childhood education or a related field and
six months of
experience working with children in an organized setting.
Possession of, or eligibility to obtain and retain, a Child
Development Assistant Permit
issued by the California
Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
Licenses and Other Requirements:
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid First Aid
Certificate issued by an authorized agency.
- Satisfactory completion of pre-employment physical
- Satisfactory completion of pre-employment drug testing.
Note: Degrees and credits generally must be from accredited
institutions (Title V Section 53406).
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening
committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the
number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications
for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Requirements of maintaining a children’s center in a safe,
clean, and orderly condition.
- Current best practices for inclusive early childhood education
- Policies and objectives of assigned program and
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and
- Health and safety regulations.
- Principles and practices of personal hygiene.
- Sanitation practices related to handling and serving
- Basic First Aid techniques.
- Monitor the behavior of young children and oversee
- Maintain a children’s center in a safe, clean, and orderly
- Apply basic principles and practices of nutrition.
- Administer basic First Aid.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Prepare and serve food in accordance with health and safety
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working
relationships with others.
- Observe health and safety regulations.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the
position is filled. The College reserves the right to extend time
limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any
Completed application packet must include:
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate
in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/12270
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
- List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application
Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community
College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to