NSIDC is encouraging applications for a team-oriented mid-level
software dev/ops engineer with an interest in developing and
supporting the infrastructure for cloud-based data and services on
the NSIDC Distributed Active Archive Center (DAAC). You would be
working on a variety of projects, including cloud computing on the
NASA DAAC cloud data management system, infrastructure, integration
applications, and operational automation. Our development group
applies software engineering best practices with modern tools and
languages to a variety of customer-facing projects that support
snow and ice research, data management, and dissemination. We apply
processes such as Kanban, Scaled Agile Framework, continuous
integration, and pair programming to produce high-quality
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC), http://nsidc.org
, part of the
Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences
(CIRES) at the University of Colorado at Boulder, serves as a
national information and referral center in support of snow and ice
research. NSIDC is a trusted source of cryospheric data and
services, and is a leader in research and development within this
At CIRES, the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental
Sciences, more than 800 environmental scientists work to understand
the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the
planet. CIRES is a partnership of NOAA and the University of
Colorado Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and
climate, changes at the Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric
chemistry, water resources, and solid Earth sciences. Our vision is
to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by
advancing scientific and societal understanding of the Earth
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
What You Should Know
- Work within a distributed team to design, develop, and maintain
software services and infrastructure on the NASA cloud data
- Debugging data ingest issues, followed by identifying and
implementing long-term solutions.
- Deployment and testing of new software stack releases to
testing and production environments.
- Work with project team members (project managers, subject
matter experts, developers, and operational staff) to translate
customer requests into working software, including writing user
stories for developer/operator-facing problems.
- Work with project team members to develop a quarterly work
plan, including requirements gathering, story writing, and
interacting with other teams to determine cross-team
What We Can Offer
- Please note that those applicants requiring visa sponsorship
now or in the future will not be considered for this position.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to legally work in the
United States on a full-time basis.
- Due to NASA funding restrictions, candidates who have
affiliations or appointments with Chinese Government organizations,
Chinese Government controlled organizations, Chinese-owned
companies, or any company incorporated under the laws of the
People’s Republic of China are ineligible for hire.
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to
comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine
requirement . New employees must provide proof of vaccination
or receive a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of
- CIRES can offer a generous compensation package. Salary is
commensurate with education and experience and determined based on
our CIRES internal career track classification.
- The annual hiring salary range for this associate scientist
position is $78,000 - $112,000.
- Relocation funds are available for this position following
CIRES and the University of Colorado’s relocation processes and
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be ambitious. Be encouraged. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in computer science, mathematics,
physics, engineering, or other physical science.
- Experience with cloud-based data storage and services.
- Experience developing applications written in Python.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Ability to work collaboratively both in-person and remote,
incorporate new ideas in group processes, and negotiate reasonable
- Desire to be part of a scientific research and data management
center and to learn more about the domain.
- Willingness to work in Kanban, Agile, and the Scaled Agile
- Ability to learn new systems quickly in an on‐the‐job
- Ability to be self‐directed and recognize tasks that need to be
completed, take ownership of them, work through them, and ask for
help when needed.
- Ability to contribute to a diverse and inclusive workplace as
part of the CU Boulder Inclusive Excellence vision.
- Occasional travel (3-5 times per year) for meetings and
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, specifically S3, Lambda,
CloudWatch, and Step Functions.
- Experience with BitBucket, GitHub, or similar hosted revision
- Experience working in a macOS or Linux development
- Experience with an infrastructure-as-code tool (for example
Terraform or Puppet).
- A solid foundation in software development including testing
and debugging, and continuous integration.
- Experience developing and deploying on virtual machines or
using Docker containers.
- Familiarity with Earth Science data and research activities,
especially cryospheric sciences.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume or CV.
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly
describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific
interest in this position.
- Be prepared to submit a list of 5 professional references (2 of
whom must be/must have been supervisors or professors). If you are
selected as a finalist, we will ask you to contact your references
so that they can complete a SkillSurvey questionnaire on your
behalf. SkillSurvey is an online automated reference check
solution. This information will be kept confidential and viewable
only by the search committee.
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified
by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an
approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the
United States, please submit a translated version (if applicable)
as an optional attachment.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. This position
will remain posted until filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
David (Chris) Torrence
Posting Contact Email: