A. T. Still University of Health Sciences (ATSU) is the
first/founding school of Osteopathic Medicine (1892). It has
evolved into a leading university of health sciences comprised of a
growing community with a rich history in education and osteopathic
healthcare. Today, ATSU offers master’s degrees across allied
health disciplines; doctorates in athletic training, audiology,
health administration, health education, health sciences, medical
science, nursing, occupational therapy, and physical therapy; as
well as doctorates in dental medicine and osteopathic
ATSU is comprised of two formal campuses (Kirksville, Mo. and Mesa,
Az.), two support locations (Dental Education and Oral Health
Center in St. Louis, Mo and the College of Healthy
Communities/Central Coast Physician Assistant Program in Santa
Maria, Ca.), as well as Community Health Centers around the Country
where ATSU students are embedded.
The director of safety and security/Clery compliance officer
position plans, directs and coordinates activities relating to the
protection, safeguarding and security of company assets, employees,
invitees and others (at all ATSU campuses/facilities); ensures
established goals and objectives are accomplished with prescribed
priorities, time limitations and with fiscal responsibilities;
advises, makes recommendations, assists in the formulation of goals
and objectives; proactively designs, implements and monitors
security policies, procedures and programs; complies with federal,
state and local legal regulations; and exercises independent
judgment in the course of carrying out overall responsibilities and
other activities as assigned. As ATSU’s designated/critically
important Jeanne Clery compliance officer, the position coordinates
with all University departments/locations across the country, to
ensure compliance with all provisions/regulations associated with
the federally mandated Jeanne Clery act.
Major Job Duties
- Plans, examines, analyzes, evaluates and supervises ATSU
security operations and Clery compliance, inclusive of physical
security assets and security personnel.
- Evaluates current procedures, practices and precedents for
accomplishing ATSU activities and functions relative to security
and Clery compliance.
- Identifies and resolves security/Clery related
- Develops and implements alternative methods for security/Clery
- Prepares periodic budget estimate(s) and reports.
- Develops and presents security/Clery training programs for
staff and students.
- Travels to other ATSU locations as needed.
- Conducts, supervises and prepares reports relating to internal
investigations of any losses or violations of regulations, policies
and procedures; develops, implements and manages training program
for security personnel and those with Clery responsibilities
(including Campus Security Authorities).
- Leads emergency management and contingency planning efforts,
including planning and execution of tabletop exercises and other
- Forms strong relationships with local law enforcement, fire and
other agencies and maintains ongoing coordination as it relates to
security and emergency response.
- Participates in local/regional emergency planning efforts and
- Resolves work grievances or submits unsettled grievances to the
Assistant Vice President of Human Resources.
- Participates in ATSU policy development and strategic planning,
as it relates to security/ safety and Clery compliance.
- Coordinate security practices among the various locations and
configurations, to ensure consistency wherever possible.
- Leads and directs the collection of a wide range of data
resulting in the preparation and appropriate distribution of all
Annual Security Reports (ASR’s). In 2020 ATSU completed/published
20 individual ASR’s.
- Actively represents ATSU in regional/national Clery events,
professional organizations and training.
- Manages ATSU’s emergency notification/timely warning program
(including partner agencies associated with Clery Geography).
- Reviews Department of Education audit findings and stays
current with Clery best practices/annual changes.
- Completion of advanced Clery Act training and national Clery
Compliance officer certification(s).
- Ensures that ATSU properly documents/retains Clery related
information and serves as the custodian of records for all things
- Maintain Campus Security Authority (CSA) list.
- Provide CSA training and monitor the completion of such
- Performs other activities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, law enforcement,
security or a closely related field, or equivalent number of years
of experience, and/or 10 years full-time experience performing
supervisory responsibilities or highly responsible work relating to
tasks assigned to this position.
- Law enforcement, and/or higher education security, and Clery
experience is required.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle license and willingness to
operate motor vehicles in the course of employment.
- Any professionally recognized certification in a security,
and/or law enforcement, and Clery Compliance related field is
- Familiarization with Title IX, the Violence Against Women
Reauthorization Act of 2013, and the Drug Free Schools and
Communities Act is desired.