Senior Associate Vice President of External
Las Cruces, NM
New Mexico State University (NMSU), New Mexico’s flagship
land-grant and space-grant institution, and the NMSU Foundation
seek a highly-collaborative, thoughtful, and entrepreneurial
professional to serve as Senior Associate Vice President of
External Relations. The Sr. AVP of External Relations will join a
dedicated advancement team, contributing to the Foundation’s
growth, and will play a critical role in identifying opportunities
to support NMSU community impact, especially for students and
faculty. The Sr. AVP of External Relations directs and coordinates
the Advancement marketing, communication, alumni relations,
compliance, donor relations, stewardship, and strategic initiative
activities of the NMSU Foundation, Office of University Advancement
and its affiliated programs. The recently-completed Ignite Aggie
Discovery Campaign, the largest in the university’s history, raised
over $125 million across three distinct pillars – student
discovery, faculty and staff discovery, and NMSU achievement. Of
the total, $39 million was dedicated for student support, and $56
million was raised for programmatic and research support. With an
endowment of over $230 million, NMSU and the NMSU Foundation have a
massive opportunity to raise even more for student, faculty, and
Critical to the continuation and growth of NMSU’s impact, the
University will rely on talented, motivated development leaders to
amplify its fundraising and broader Aggie community engagement
strategies. To develop and execute an ambitious growth plan, NMSU
is looking to attract professionals with the unique balance of
success, authenticity, and passion for the New Mexico
Ideal candidates will be dedicated, hard-working, and curious. A
personal and professional commitment to valuing the differences in
who we are, what we’ve experienced, and how we think, is vital.
Excellent organizational skills in addition to superior verbal,
written and interpersonal skills are essential.
Required Education & Experience
The position requires a bachelor’s degree and eight (8) years of
professional experience related to the standard duties as
New Mexico State University
New Mexico State University invites you to apply to be a part of
a diverse, dynamic and welcoming learning and working environment
in Las Cruces, NM. NMSU seeks employees who are creative
and flexible in developing and evaluating new ideas and ways to
evolve NMSU into the future. Located in the borderlands
and adjacent to the mighty Rio Grande, NMSU is a proud
Hispanic-serving institution in the minority-majority state of New
Mexico. Southern New Mexico features an average of 294 days of
sunshine annually, making NMSU ideal for job-seekers who
enjoy hiking, mountain biking, canoeing and
bird-watching. NMSU is committed to sustainability
through improving and maintaining the quality of human life while
preserving the integrity, stability, and beauty of ecological
systems for the future. We are looking for student-centered
employees with a passion for success. NMSU invites you to
take the first step to your successful and rewarding career by
NMSU is New Mexico’s land-grant and space-grant institution, a
comprehensive research institution dedicated to teaching, research,
public service and outreach. In addition, the NMSU system
includes a satellite learning center in Albuquerque, Cooperative
Extension Service offices located in each of New Mexico’s 33
counties, and 12 agriculture research and science centers. New
Mexico State University is the institution of choice for more than
15,000 students from 49 states and 89 foreign countries.
The City of Las Cruces is the second largest city in New Mexico
and is located in Doña Ana County, approximately 45 miles north of
El Paso, Texas, and 225 miles south of Albuquerque. Las Cruces is
the economic and geographic center of the Mesilla Valley, the
agricultural region on the floodplain of the Rio Grande which
extends from Hatch to the west side of El Paso, Texas. The Organ
Mountains, 10 miles to the east, are dominant in the city’s
landscape, along with the Doña Ana Mountains, Robledo Mountains,
and Picacho Peak. Las Cruces lies within a short driving distance
of the Mexican border at Santa Teresa, as well as many other
locations in the broader borderland region.
Geography, climate, demographics, and ambiance of Las Cruces
and NMSU combine to offer a truly excellent place to
thrive. Family members will discover a warm, open community that
offers an attractive array of activities and outdoor recreation,
amenities, services and opportunities, whether they are looking for
top-notch education, meaningful employment, or simply a safe and
comfortable place to live.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Directs and coordinates Advancement marketing, communication,
alumni relations, compliance, donor relations, stewardship, and
strategic initiative activities of the NMSU Foundation and Office
of University Advancement; both external and internal.
- Assists VP of Advancement with strategic planning and
implementation of strategic initiatives.
- Oversees development and implementation of Advancement support
materials and services.
- Coordinates communication strategies to enhance positive media
exposure including earned, owned and paid media opportunities.
- Represents and promotes University Advancement and the NMSU
Foundation, increasing visibility and supporting the mission,
vision, and goals.
- Leads the development and implementation of University
Advancement and the NMSU Foundation brand vision, strategy, and
public relations campaigns to engage and motivate alumni and
- Collaborates closely with College and University marketing and
- Supports university, college and department advancement-focused
marketing collateral and messaging.
- Designs, establishes, and maintains an organizational structure
and staffing to effectively accomplish the organization’s goals and
- Oversees the supervision of personnel, which includes work
allocation and goals, training, promotion and enforcement of
internal procedures and problem resolution; evaluates performance
and makes recommendations for personnel actions, motivates
employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Oversees the overall operations of units reporting to this
- Represents the Foundation to various institutional divisions as
well as externally to governmental agencies, vendors, students and
their parents, donors, alumni, volunteer boards and committees, and
the general public.
- Develops and manages annual budgets and performs periodic cost
and productivity analyses.
- Creates and initiates effective marketing activities for
promoting major, planned and annual giving, capital needs,
endowments, and other funding activities.
- Assumes responsibility for overall coordination and day-to-day
execution of campaigns.
- Recommends and participates in the development of University
policies and procedures, may serve on University planning and
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
In addition to the abilities to achieve the above core
responsibilities, ideal candidates will possess the following
qualification and attributes:
- Knowledge and understanding of donor relations, alumni
relations, and marketing and communication principles, practices,
and standards as applied to public institutions.
- Knowledge of multi-media applications.
- Knowledge of computerized systems used in marketing and
- Knowledge of organization structure, workflow, staffing
patterns, job design, and operating procedures.
- Knowledge of project management principles, practices,
techniques, and tools.
- Knowledge of financial/business analyses techniques.
- Knowledge of faculty and/or staff hiring procedures.
- Demonstrated success in planning and executing complex
multi-year, multi-million-dollar development programs and/or
- Knowledge of best practices and current trending within the
educational fundraising arena.
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and
procedures, formulating policy, creating and managing fiscal
budgets and the strategic implementation of outcomes.
- Skilled in critical thinking, presenting, and strategic
planning that can be delivered to a broad constituency.
- Outstanding interpersonal and community relations skills and
the ability to communicate and work effectively within a diverse
- Employee development and performance management skills.
- Ability to work across diverse operational units toward a
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include
organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to develop and implement comprehensive goals,
strategies, and plans.
- Ability to establish, direct, and maintain an integrated and
cohesive institutional external relations function.
- Ability to be a dynamic leader for a multi-unit team.
- Ability to motivate and foster a cooperative work environment
that enhances employee development and performance.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart
information to a range of clientele and/or media sources.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in
How to Apply
We only accept applications from our website please use the link
below. The electronic application is
the official document that will be used
to qualify applicants. Paper/email documents will not be accepted.
Required documents must be attached to this application.
NMSU is an equal opportunity and affirmative action