Part-Time Mexican American History Instructor (Pool)
West Valley-Mission Community College District
PART-TIME, ASSOCIATE FACULTY POOL
Applications for Part-Time, Associate Faculty pools are continually
accepted (unless otherwise specified) by the District and will be
added to the application pool for review by hiring authorities on
an as-needed basis. Should you be invited for an interview, you
will be contacted by a District representative.
West Valley College Department of History is looking for an
instructor of Mexican American History. The successful candidate
should have a graduate degree in US History with course work in
Chicano History, Western/Ethnic History or Latin American History.
College-level teaching experience is desired, high school
instruction a plus.
This position is a part-time position as an Associate Instructor
for a Mexican American History course. The teaching assignment may
require teaching lecture-discussion courses during day, evening or
on Saturday and/or in an on-line/distance education format. The
assignments are as needed, during Spring, Summer, and/or Fall
semesters. This position is represented by the West Valley-Mission
Federation of Teachers (WVMFT / AFT Local 6554).
Work location: West Valley College, Saratoga, CA.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is based on a percentage of workload, up to a maximum of 67%
of a full-time load. Salary is prorated based on an initial hiring
salary range of $27,790-$39,006 per semester; and is based on
academic achievement, teaching and related experience.
1. Education - Possess any one of the following:
- Master’s degree in history; OR
- Bachelor’s degree in history AND master’s degree in political
science, humanities, geography, area studies, women’s studies,
social science, or ethnic studies; OR
- A valid California Community College Instructor’s Credential in
- The equivalent of the above.
2. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic,
socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds,
disability, and sexual orientation of community college students,
faculty and staff.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Instructional duties and assignments may consist of one or more of
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit
our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
- Provide instruction for assigned courses. This includes
preparation for in-class or on-line/distance education activities,
evaluation of students’ work, consultation with students outside of
class and/or on-line, maintenance of currency in the subjects
- Maintain accurate class and other records required by the
- Submit, when due, attendance rosters and grade reports.
- Follow course outlines as filed in the instruction
- Maintain office hours each week, at .5 hours per week per
- Observe, support and enforce the regulations, policies and
programs of the District and college.
- Provide each student with a written course syllabus at the
beginning of the course, as per instructions in the Faculty
- Refer students to appropriate college sources for information
on counseling and other student services.
- Assist students by providing advice on requirements for
successful achievement in the members’ area of expertise.
- Work cooperatively within the college community.
- Foster an environment that protects academic freedom within the
- Foster a positive working environment that is free from
harassment, prejudice and/or bias.
- Demonstrate a respect for the dignity of each individual.
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to
complete the application, testing or interview process, please
contact Human Resources at (408) 741-2174 to arrange for
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal