Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to
assist Adelphi University in their search for Chief Communications
For best consideration, please apply by November
This position offers the potential for a hybrid work
This is a remarkable opportunity for a results-driven strategist
and change agent to serve as the inaugural Chief Communications
Officer (CCO) of the University. The successful candidate is
a highly collaborative, visionary, and skilled leader with
demonstrated experience in spearheading and executing comprehensive
strategic communication plans and reputation-building
The ideal CCO thrives in a fast paced, fluid and dynamic
environment and understands the nuances of effectively
communicating with all stakeholders and developing successful
integrated communication strategies and campaigns. The next CCO
will be well-versed in current trends and best practices of
communications in higher education.
The Chief Communications Officer (CCO) is a key member of the
University Communication and Marketing leadership team and is
responsible for ensuring a coordinated communications strategy
across micro, mid, and macro levels of internal and external
The CCO oversees the activities of the Executive Communications
team, supporting the delivery of messages from key executive
functions across the University, along with the coordination and
management of public relations, social media, and crisis
management. This individual proactively manages the development and
execution of a communications strategy, ensuring key messages are
delivered to and received by all relevant stakeholder
Reporting to the Vice President of Enrollment Management and
University Communications, the CCO Officer is expected to work
closely with the Chief Marketing and Branding Officer to ensure
brand and messaging alignment. Reporting to the CCO are a Director
of Executive Communications and a Senior Director of Media and
The position offers a competitive salary and benefits.
- Provide leadership to Executive Communications in coordinating
critical and at times sensitive messaging to community members and
- Develop integrated communication plans that communicate
appropriate versions of messages to each impacted community.
- Proactively anticipate communication needs throughout each
academic year and prepare executive messaging with appropriate
- Develop specific communication strategies for Presidential
voice in written and social platforms.
- Develop specific communication strategies for executive leaders
in written and social platforms.
- Identify opportunities to leverage strategic executive
communications in external public relations and social media
- Coordinate production of executive messaging with University’s
Senior Director for Client Services and Production Operations and
additional distribution of said messaging with the Lead Editor and
Senior Director of Content.
- Ensure all divisional leaders have consistent messaging and
clarity on talking points in advance of any important executive
messages being delivered to campus and stakeholder groups.
- Lead Crisis Management Response teams as needed throughout the
- Regularly develop and update crisis management templates and
- Maintain University’s Crisis Management and Response plan.
- Proactively develop an integrated crisis response plan
including talking points, media statement, FAQs, internal updates,
social media response plans, etc.
- Identify proactive crisis prevention tactics through executive
training and collaboration.
- Conduct crisis management trainings with key Adelphi community
members on an annual basis.
- Provide regular reporting on crisis management operations to
- Actively manage and engage with the University’s contracted
Public Relations firm(s).
- Develop and pursue local, regional, and national public
relations media strategies, each clearly defined with distinct
- Partner closely with the Delphian, Adelphi’s student run
- Collaborate with the Chief Marketing and Branding Officer to
develop and implement a rankings management strategy, including a
peer influencer campaign to raise reputation and awareness.
- Develop social media accounts into mature, robust messaging
platforms while growing engagement rates.
- Identify new platforms to build and introduce to Adelphi’s
social media portfolio.
- Identify departments and voices to add to social media channels
for appropriate messaging to reach internal and external
- Conduct op-ed and social media workshops throughout the year
for Adelphi community members.
- Implement influencer-based strategies across various social
General Administrative and
- Oversee, evaluate, and change processes as necessary to ensure
efficiencies, quality, and best practices in communication
modalities and deliverability.
- Assist in the planning and management of UCOMM’s operating
- Play a key role in the development and successful
implementation of communication-related strategic priorities.
- Work with the Chief Marketing and Branding Officer as well as
internal and external partners to develop, implement and
continuously improve Adelphi’s brand throughout all areas of the
- Keep current on best practices in higher education,
particularly in the areas of public relations, social media, crisis
management, and communications.
- Serve on various university committees and projects as
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS:
- Operational and visionary leadership with a focus on efficiency
- Relationship builder with an ability to develop internal and
external relationships, mentor staff, and provide a high level of
service across the University, interacting with people at all
levels of the organization.
- Creativity and innovation, offering an assertiveness in
presenting and selling ideas, with a sensitivity to the values and
expectations of others.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and methodologies of
communications, public/media relations and speech writing.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: (Knowledge, skills and
Ability to be a self-starter and work independently.
Ability to condense complex messages into consistent, concise,
and easy to understand messaging, along with the ability to vary
delivery to match audiences, as appropriate.
Strong computer skills with using Gmail, Microsoft Word, Excel,
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership, talent development,
strategic direction and execution.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, retain, and reward high
quality, diverse staff.
- Demonstrated management style that delegates authority, mentors
and empowers staff, sets high expectations, and holds departmental
- Demonstrated expertise in integrated communications and public
- Demonstrated experience using data and metrics to drive
- Commitment to transparency and continuous improvement.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, along with
a clear sense of goals and timelines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of and experience creating a wide range of
- Knowledge of social media landscape and experience of building
a brand on social media on a variety of platforms.
- Ability to prioritize projects in a high volume/stress,
complex, dynamic environment.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 7-10 years of related experience
- Supervisory experience
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to the mission of
- Advanced degree is preferred.
ABOUT ADELPHI UNIVERSITY:
Adelphi University located in Garden City since 1929 was the
first private, coeducational university on Long Island. Adelphi was
first founded as Adelphi Academy in 1863 and originally located in
Currently, more than 8,100 students are thriving in their
classrooms, programs, on sports fields at the main Garden City
campus and at centers in Manhattan, Hauppauge, and
Poughkeepsie. Adelphi reaches more students than ever before
with multiple dynamic learning hubs and convenient online options.
Colleges include the College of Arts and Sciences; the Gordon F.
Derner School of Psychology; the Honors College; the Robert B.
Willumstad School of Business; the College of Education and Health
Sciences (comprised of the Ruth S. Ammon School of Education and
the School of Health Sciences); the College of Nursing and Public
Health; the School of Social Work; and the College of Professional
and Continuing Studies.
Scholars throughout the University are making significant
contributions to their disciplines. In recent years, Adelphi
faculty members have been recognized as Fulbright and Hartford
Scholars, and have received funding from the National Endowment for
the Humanities, the National Institutes of Health and the National
Science Foundation. The School of Social Work is accredited for the
maximum time that the accrediting agency grants.
Adelphi University has a strong and demonstrated commitment to
diversity, equity and inclusion.
LIVING IN THE AREA:
Grand houses. Wide boulevards. Charming scenery. A safe,
small-town community feel. It’s no wonder Garden City, a village of
about 20,000 residents, earned a rare overall A+ by Niche.com in
Best Suburbs to Live in New York category. This Long Island locale
is filled with shops, restaurants, pubs, architectural gems,
historic landmarks, museums and recreational activities. Long
Island’s famous beaches and other shopping, dining and
entertainment destinations; and of course, our nearby neighbor, New
The campus is easily accessible via public transportation.
For best consideration, please apply by November
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should
include a cover letter and CV. You may apply directly at https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjygmwkn
To be considered, applications must be made through the
application link and not emailed.
Review will begin upon receipt. Inquiries, referrals and
nominations are treated confidentially and can be sent to: Jennifer
Muller, Academic Career & Executive Search at Jennifer@ACESrch.com.
Adelphi University is an equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to building a
diverse and inclusive workforce. They encourage you to consider
becoming part of their community and welcome applications from all
candidates, including people of color and those who are, or
identify as, members of any marginalized, underserved or
underrepresented group. You can read their University statement on