The FIT Foundation, in its capacity as the advisory and
fundraising body to the Fashion Institute of Technology
(FIT), seeks an Assistant Manager of Strategic Philanthropy. FIT, a
college of the State University of New York (SUNY) and the
premier educational institution for fashion, design, merchandising,
and related professions, provides an unmatched combination of
specialized curricula and in-depth liberal arts education, and an
extraordinary location in the center of New York City. The College
has four schools: the School of Art and Design, the Jay and Patty
Baker School of Business and Technology, the School of Liberal
Arts, and the School of Continuing and Professional Studies. Among
the College's almost 100,000 alumni are such industry leaders as
Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Normal Kamali, David Chu, and Nanette
The Assistant Manager of Alumni Relations supports and
implements a comprehensive alumni relations program of meaningful
events and communications designed to increase alumni engagement
and philanthropic support among more than 70,000 undergraduate and
graduate alumni of FIT. The Assistant Manager is responsible for
supporting essential events led by the Alumni Relations team. They
will oversee event logistics, and frontline constituent service
support. The successful candidate will be highly detail oriented
and organized, cherish relationship building and thrive in an
environment where philanthropy and annual giving revenue is a major
priority. They will identify opportunities to infuse pride in the
"FIT brand" and FIT degree, create a visible and strong ambassador
network for professional and personal support, and create
programming and messaging that add to the creation of a culture of
philanthropy, gratitude, and the importance of giving back.
Job Specific Competencies
- Represent the office and the University and serve as liaison
with and provide organizational support to alumni, ambassadors,
VIP's and university committees charged with representing various
alumni and ambassador constituencies.
- Identify, recruit and engage alumni and ambassadors for
volunteer leadership roles, especially successful and highly
dynamic alumni, creating an increasingly effective and engaged
volunteer network in which alumni advance to increasing levels of
involvement and leadership.
- Assist in the communications and marketing strategy, including
the management of social media platforms, marketing collateral, and
- Support the annual giving development and programming,
including quarterly appeals, an annual FIT Giving Day and other
fundraising initiatives and programs focused on alumni and friends
of the college.
- Maintaining an active schedule of personal visits with key
alumni, especially potential alumni leaders, recruiting alumni for
volunteer roles on alumni committees and partnerships and
encouraging philanthropic support.
- Cultivate VIP's and ambassadors, such as notable alums,
commencement speakers, and other special relations to be involved
in FIT Foundation efforts and initiatives.
- Manage logistics of events, including registration, facility
work orders, nametags, and other essential details led by Alumni
- Orchestrate grassroots community-building initiatives that
engage alumni as volunteers, mentors, corporate partners, and/or
donors. Help build professional networks and affinity groups, and
inspire alumni and friends to invest their time, talents and
- Identify opportunities to infuse pride in the "FIT brand" and
FIT degree, create a visible and strong alumni network for
professional and personal support, and create programming and
messaging that add to the creation of a culture of philanthropy,
gratitude, and the importance of giving back.
- Serving as liaison with and providing organizational support to
alumni boards and university committees charged with representing
various alumni constituencies.
- Working collaboratively with the marketing and communications
department to share donor and alumni stories, generate interest in
university programs, educate alumni on engagement opportunities,
and deepen alumni interactions with FIT through print and
- Maintaining an Alumni database and ensuring accurate and
complete records; contacts, biographical and career information of
alumni are updated.
- Research best practices for alumni benefits programs, and
present creative and cost-effective ideas to expand the program and
- Seek and staff opportunities for Alumni Relations presence at
key student events throughout the year, including (but not limited
to) career fairs, athletic events, and Parent and Family
- Coordinate with Advancement Services to update alumni contact
records, event attendance, volunteer involvement, affinity coding,
and career data ensuring accuracy and correct formatting.
- Perform all other related duties as required.
- Bachelors Degree Required; Masters degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 of experience working in alumni relations,
development, or marketing, preferably at a university or non-profit
- Experience in engagement campaign development, volunteer
management and fundraising.
- Proven project management experience and the ability to handle
- Experience managing multiple social media platforms.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite preferred
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills including writing, editing, and
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an engaging and innovative
personal style and a high level of sophistication and maturity in
social and professional settings, including the ability to work
diplomatically with partners and represent the Foundation and
- Background and/ or interest in communications, marketing, and
social media strategy development
- Demonstrated ability to work with high-level prospects, donors,
and campus/trustee leaders.
- Strong sense of professional curiosity
- Demonstrated ability to manage, mentor, and guide a growing
team of professionals.
- Ability to operate independently, exercise sound judgment, and
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and goals, and present
solutions (vs. identify challenges).
- Ability to collaborate closely with colleagues in development
and across departments.
- Highly developed leadership and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability in problem identification and resolution
with excellent analytical and critical thinking skills is
- Expert-level knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and web
- Proficiency in Raiser's Edge or similar CRM database
- An understanding of and the ability to articulate the
accomplishments and goals of a complex organization.
- An understanding of the important role of diversity, inclusion,
and equity to institutional advancement and alumni engagement.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships
and effective channels of communication at multiple levels inside
and outside the organization with a proven ability to successfully
interact with a diverse group of people.
- Event planning, organizational, administrative and budgetary
experience is a plus.
Read Comprehend- Constant; Perform Calculations- Occasional;
Communicate Orally- Constant; Reason & Analyze- Constant;
Sit- Frequent; Stand- Frequent; Bend- Frequent; Walk- Frequent;
Climb- N/A; Pull- N/A; Push- Occasional; Lift<10- Occasional;
Lift 10-20- N/A; Lift over 50- N/A; Reach- N/A
- Days/Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00-5:00pm
- Schedule subject to change based on the needs of the
The FIT Foundation is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action
Employer and is strongly and actively committed to diversity within
- Cover letter
- A list of three (3) professional references with telephone
numbers and email addresses
Please note successful completion of a background check is
required for appointment to this position once an offer has been
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at:
Returning Applicants Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to
check your completed application.