The assistant director of housing operations provides oversight and
leadership for operations and assignments on a liberal arts,
undergraduate, residential campus. Colgate University students and
staff are collaborative, intellectually engaged, student-centered,
and highly communicative. The successful candidate for this
position will demonstrate their ability to excel and achieve in
this high touch environment.
The primary responsibility of this position includes on-campus
occupancy management, housing selection, off-campus housing
lottery, marketing and communications, central office operations,
key operations, damage billing, furniture inventory, and emergency
room management. Additionally, the position is highly
communicative, as it engages heavily with students and families.
The assistant director will build and maintain strong relationships
with colleagues in Facilities, Student Accounts, Summer Programs,
Administrative Advising, International Student Services, and
The assistant director is a member of the leadership team in
Residential Life and will lead department staff through housing and
operational processes in a collaborative and team-oriented
approach. The position provides strong direction and clear
communication to students and staff surrounding housing operations.
The position indirectly supervises Area Director staff as it
relates to housing operations.
Learn more about Colgate University and the Dean of the College
Division by reviewing A
Candidate’s Guide to Colgate
● Implementation of clear housing operations processes in line with
department and university goals including but not limited to
assignments, opening, closing, room changes, and selection
● Utilize Symplicity residential software to contribute to the
management of on-campus housing by processing assignments, status
changes, wait lists and other assignment related requests.
● Coordinate housing assignments during the academic year as well
as winter and summer breaks.
● Utilize housing software to contribute to the management of
Residence Life processes including early arrival and late stay
coding, key management, and room condition reporting.
● Utilize housing software for managing on and off-campus housing
related information including providing detailed occupancy reports,
cancellation trends, and historical data as requested.
● Collaborate with the Office of Academic Support and Disability
Services on student housing accommodation requests.
● Work with specialty groups such as the Residential Commons, Theme
Housing, Fraternity and Sorority Life, and Interest Groups to
determine on-campus housing assignments in line with the
educational initiatives of the department.
● Manage housing transitions and off-term occupancies (Early
Arrival, Late-Stay, Reunion, Summer Housing).
● Manage necessary room reassignments during the academic
● Utilize Symplicity to develop, implement, and assess systems and
processes which support the off campus housing lottery
● Maintain collaborative working relationships with rental
organizations and community housing providers for ease of
communication about student released to off-campus housing.
● Provide data for university administrators and campus partners
related to off-campus housing students.
Marketing & Communications
● Assist with development and administration of the Office of
Residential Life housing policies. Housing agreement, and general
● Communicate and disseminate housing process information to staff
● Develop and release housing process communications and
educational materials for the department website and campus partner
● Research and respond to complex inquiries from students, parents,
and campus partners in order to provide or clarify information
about on and off-campus housing services, options, programs,
policies or procedures.
● Assist with mass communications to parents and students including
but not limited to phone calls and emails.
● Utilize social media to market and promote Residence Life,
Housing, and Off-Campus Housing related events, activities, and
● Maintain student room, common area, and stored furniture
inventory for effective asset management throughout the year to be
used for annual furniture purchases.
● Assist with the development of base level service agreements for
fraternity and sorority houses.
● Assist with annual replacement and long-range furniture planning
related to residential furniture in partnership with the Director
of Residential Life and Facilities Department.
● Serve as the department liaison to Symplicity, Information
Technology, and Student Accounts in order to receive applications,
make assignments, assess charges, deliver individualized
communications, manage data, and generate reports in housing
● Thoroughly train professional and paraprofessional Residence Life
staff about partnership and shared responsibilities with facilities
staff, and housing operations, processes.
● Effective coordination of a room & building master key
inventory; organize key check-in/check-out, and associated billing
● Effective coordination for damage billing process in support of
fostering a community where accountability and responsible
community membership are highly valued.
● Coordinate schedules of student office staff, and recruits,
selects, trains, and supervises student office employees.
● Provide oversight for a small number of student storage areas on
campus, establishing consistent guidelines and support for
departments using these storage areas.
● Serve as a member of the Residential Life leadership team,
training and preparing members of the live-in professional staff to
perform operational functions such as room changes, room
inventories, damage reporting; role model effective communication
with members of our diverse community.
● Promote and coordinate Commencement Housing for families of
graduating Colgate students.
● Serve on various campus-wide committees as appropriate.
● And other projects and duties as assigned.
This position has been designated as a Campus Security Authority (
CSA ), in accordance with the federal statutory requirements of the
Jeanne Clery Act. CSAs are required to and responsible for
reporting allegations of crimes they receive from students and
employees to the Campus Safety Department.
Professional Experience/ Qualifications
Ideal candidates will have:
○ Knowledge of Housing and Residence Life as a functional
○ Educational and work history in Higher Education
○ Ability to problem solve both personnel issues and project
○ Strong planning, organization, communication, and prioritization
Enthusiasm about engaging with the diverse students, staff, and
faculty with whom the Residential Life team partners.
○ 3+ years experience in Housing and/or Residential Life
○ Experience with online housing software
○ Experience in a residential liberal arts setting
A Bachelor’s degree is required.
A Master’s degree in higher education, student personnel,
counseling, or a related field is preferred.
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against
any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their
race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin,
marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information,
being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking,
familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is
an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from
historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with
disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.