We are seeking applicants for an Assistant Director (AD) for
Housing Facilities, Custodial Services Operations! The AD has
leadership responsibility for the environmental services and
custodial activities for 25 residence halls, 6 family housing
complexes, 5 dining rooms, CU Children’s Center, the Chancellor’s
Residence, and additional auxiliary buildings. The AD is
responsible for the development and management of a $6 million
operating budget, personnel and contract services budget, personnel
and resource allocation needs, and contribution to HFS critical
initiative planning. The position provides a common view across
zones within housing controlled buildings to ensure a consistent
delivery of services and products to all customers—residents,
departmental staff, and campus constituencies. The successful
candidate will also be responsible for the hiring and progressive
management process for environmental services staff.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Housing Facilities Services (HFS) is a comprehensive facility
management operation that provides around-the-clock support to over
10,000 residents and 20,000 conference guests annually. Services
include maintenance, repair, renovation, project management,
capital construction, housekeeping, and groundskeeping operations.
HFS has approximately 190 full-time employees, as well as
approximately 80 part-time and student staff, who all strive to
give residents the best living experience possible.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Planning, Innovation, and New Process Development
- Lead strategy for the unit, formulate programs and processes to
meet objectives, including policy development and implementation,
resource planning, staffing, and scheduling associated with
breakthrough and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Review, recommend, approve, and implement equipment, supplies,
and materials to optimize customer satisfaction, improve the safety
of employees, ensure equal distribution of work, improve quality
consistently, and minimize costs.
- Implement facilities and infrastructure operational
improvements to increase service and improve living and learning
environments for the residents, staff, and conference guests.
- Develop and implement preventive cleaning program for residence
halls, family housing complexes, and auxiliary buildings.
- Implement new work management process and associated work
management system as deemed feasible. Incorporate updated
information in regards to room use type and changes in surfaces in
order to maintain accuracy, completeness, and equality in work
- Develop standards and checklists for cleaning operations, and
ensure compliance to standards through root cause analysis and
corrective action planning, and execution.
- As part of HFS Leadership team determine and implement sourcing
plan which meets the strategic procurement objectives of HFS,
resulting in decreased inventory, consolidation of suppliers, and
Management of Key Performance Metrics
- Manage campus personnel in after-hours/emergency cleaning, and
- Assist associate director in creating vision of organization
through the development of custodial supervisors’ goals and
- Perform planning and performance management for subordinates,
administer timecards, vacation requests, training, and equipment
requests for organization.
- Assist associate director in developing and implementing
associate recognition programs, ongoing training programs, and
- Maintain consistency in cleaning certification process by
personal verification of learned skills of all new employees,
including safe operation of custodial equipment, and re-training as
- Help develop and implement programs to increase employee
engagement and empowerment.
- As part of policy deployment of strategic objectives in
conjunction with associate directors, develop and implement ways to
deploy strategic objectives to individual performance plans.
- Training oversight of all environmental services staff in
equipment use, equipment maintenance, work instructions including
standard operating procedures, etc. As vital, training includes
hands-on use to demonstrate the safe operation of custodial
equipment requiring exertion up to 100lbs of force
- Assistant director is the main point of contact for the zone
assigned for Environmental Services for major internal customers,
such as Residence Life, Conference Services, Maintenance, and
Human Resource Management, Budget, Finance and
- Help develop, manage, and track key metrics as part of the HFS
assessment initiatives: financial (actuals to budget, unbudgeted
expenses, and capital projects), customer service (service level
agreements, work orders, customer satisfaction), and operational
metrics (cost/student, cost/sq. ft., etc.).
- Help AD develop, manage, and track budgets for personnel,
equipment, tools, vehicles, supplies, and contracts for
organization. Respond to customer inquiries and complaints.
- Evaluate benchmarking information within the cleaning industry
and across similar universities; assess trends and determine
operational changes based on organizational performance against
- Participate in the development and implementation of Key
Performance Indicators (KPI’s) and Non-Financial Indicators (NFI’s)
in alignment with strategic policy deployment.
Environmental Services Operations Management & Customer
- Assist associate director for the development and management of
a $6.0 million operating, personnel, and contract services budget
in collaboration with the assistant director.
- Identify expense reduction opportunities throughout HFS.
Develop and implement plans to realize the expense reduction.
- Evaluate staffing requirements, and create models to ensure
customer needs are met.
- Negotiate supply costs, equipment maintenance and repair fees,
and contract services expenses.
- Train, coach, and mentor zone supervisors using constructive
and timely feedback to teams and/or individuals, so they can
improve their performance.
- Be responsible for and participate in interviewing, hiring, and
training of full-time employees, temporary employees, and student
employees. Manage performance issues in a timely and appropriate
manner. Ensure staffing levels are optimal.
Compliance, Fire, Life and Health Safety, Environmental
- Responsible for risk management planning, training, and
assessment of work conditions resulting in reduced staff and
student injury and accidents.
- In conjunction with other HFS leadership, responsible for the
development and delivery of a customer satisfaction improvement
plan for HFS.
- Work with associate director to determine strategic outsourcing
opportunities (example after-hour calls, and apartment turns).
What You Should Know
- Ensure emergency action and safety/security plans are current,
coordinated and implemented with EH&S, campus police,
Facilities Management, and university departments.
- Work with the associate director for facilities business
operations to implement environmental, conservation, and utility
- Ensure all operations, systems, policies, and protocols are
implemented, followed, supervised for accuracy and timeliness, and
support a high commitment to life, safety, and security of
students, guests and staff. Ensure staff is trained on all
life/safety and security protocols annually or as specified by
- Implement green products and cleaning procedures that are
- Champion the change in culture to one that has an increased
awareness of safety through the use of SafeStart or another
This position is required to be in-person. Our targeted start date
is January 3, 2022.
What We Can Offer
The hiring pay range is $76,000 to $94,514. Onboarding assistance
is available within Student Affairs division guidelines.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be inspired. Be pioneering. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and
experience may substitute.
- At least four (4)+ years of job related experience, including
lead or supervision experience.
- A valid driver's license.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experienced with Microsoft Office suite of products and work
- Experienced with process improvement.
- Ability to manage a diverse staff.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated negotiating skills.
- Master's degree from an accredited University in Environmental
Science, Business, Public Administration or related field.
- Five years of supervision experience in operations with an
emphasis on customer service.
- Experience leading people and managing processes in
multicultural work environment.
- Two years of experience developing and implementing continuous
- Experience running budgets and profit/loss of a
- Fire Life Safety Knowledge and experience.
- Experience in auditing and root cause analysis and corrective
action planning for workplace injury.
- Demonstrated experience in human resource management.
- Proven experience in strategic and tactical activities.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and
responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by November 2, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
This position is designated “essential services.” The incumbent is
required to respond to requests for work during campus emergencies
(snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or man-made event)
and report to work for his / her regularly assigned shift during
emergency campus closures.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: