Building Service Worker (Custodial) - Full Time
POSITION: BUILDING SERVICE WORKER BFCUST-BSW2A
STATUS: Full Time
DEPARTMENT: Facility Services
DIVISION: Administrative Services
UNION: Facility Services
REPORTS TO: Custodial Superintendent
PLACEMENT: Buildings and Grounds Level 2A / 2B
MINIMUM PAY RATE: $18.15 per hour 2A; $22.52 per hour 2B
*Internal candidates (2B): Hourly rate is subject to the terms of
the current union contract.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity,
gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an
AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates
who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
Under general supervision, performs a wide variety of custodial
duties in order to provide a clean, orderly and safe environment;
and performs related work as required. Displays knowledge of safe
operation of equipment while maintaining the level of safety
required and exhibited by JJC and OSHA requirements. Assures
assigned work is completed in a professional efficient manner.
Accountable for prompt, efficient customer service.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Clean and sanitize areas in accordance with required cleaning
methods. Areas may include classrooms, offices, washrooms,
2. Assist in shoveling the sidewalks/clearing snow and other
related seasonal custodial care around the exterior of the campus
3. Take classes as offered for custodial duties.
4. Observe safety standards and practices.
5. Attitude: must demonstrate enthusiasm, loyalty to department and
leadership, maturity, tact and diplomacy in dealing with co-workers
and the public.
6. Report all damage to the Lead Custodian as noticed in assigned
area or building.
7. Report all damage of exterior campus facilities and equipment to
the Custodial Superintendent
8. Participate in achieving departmental and college goals and
9. Perform other related duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or GED equivalent.
2. One (1) year of previous custodial experience.
3. Must pass physical examination.
4. Ability to lift, carry, stack and maneuver objects on a regular
basis with a minimum weight of 50 lbs.
5. Be willing and able to go up in an open lift for window cleaning
to heights of approximately 25 feet.
6. Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s license and be able
to operate a college motor vehicle.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS - EQUIPMENT AND/OR MACHINES USED
1. Must be familiar with and able to use the following: scrubbers,
buffers, burnishers, small and large vacuums, personnel lift for
window washing, pick-up truck with power lift gate; trash
compactor, hand carts, and all related equipment.
2. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, bend, use
hands to finger, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, climb
ladders or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, see and hear,
push/pull equipment and supplies.
3. Ability to lift, carry, stack and maneuver objects on a regular
basis with a maximum weight of 50 lbs. is required.
4. Vision requirements include close and distance vision and
ability to adjust focus.
5. Ability to work from a ladder or power lift above ground to a
height of 30 feet.
1. Work is indoors/outdoors.
2. The employee must be able to work safely in an environment
containing caustic chemicals, cleaning materials, dust and
3. Frequently required to work under inclement weather
4. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and
occasionally loud. Be willing and able to go up in an open lift to
heights of approximately 30 feet.
5. Display knowledge of safe operation of equipment while
maintaining the level of safety required and exhibited by JJC and
1. Be available for any of the 3 shifts at any given time.
2. Any shift changes will be communicated via 2 weeks’
3. (90) ninety calendar day probationary period.
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.