Position Description Summary
The Lorado Taft Field Campus is Northern Illinois University’s
outdoor education and conference center and is located in Oregon,
Illinois. Taft Campus’ outdoor education program is generally
multidisciplinary, place-based, and experiential, and planned in
close partnership with the visiting schools with the goal of
providing excellent programming and customer service to the
visiting students and staff. The Outdoor Education Instructor is
responsible for the instruction of outdoor education experiences
for elementary and middle school students.
Lorado Taft Field Campus is looking to fill multiple positions
for its Outdoor Education Instructor position. All positions
require successful hires to live in provided campus
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop and teach classes, primarily in the outdoor environment,
to students in the 4th to 8th grades.
• Develop curricula and resources for the program.
• Assist in the maintenance and upkeep of campus teaching, habitat,
and resource storage areas.
• Participate in staff training prior to teaching and throughout
the school year.
• Assist in the coordination of the residential outdoor education
• Provide guest services and assist in security and emergency
• Complete projects assigned by the faculty supervisors.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree in education, science, natural resources,
recreation, history, or related field
• Six months experience as an educator, naturalist, or facilitator
of non-formal education programming.
• Two months experience teaching, facilitating, or participating in
outdoor education or recreation activities.
• Ability to manage a security sensitive position.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to convey information about environmental topics without
bias and with the goal of encouraging lifelong learning.
• Ability to effectively engage in behavior management in order to
maintain students’ interest and participation in outdoor classes
• Ability to manage work time effectively and with little
supervision to ensure preparedness and project completion.
• Flexibility and the ability to deal with the unexpected and
quickly changing nature of outdoor activities and children.
• Demonstrated enthusiasm for the outdoors and outdoor education,
even when conditions are challenging.
• Demonstrated professionalism as related to the field.
• Demonstrated competence in verbal communication, particularly the
ability to present information, ideas, directions, etc. in a clear
and concise manner.
• Demonstrated initiative to go above and beyond minimum assigned
• Experience as an educator, program staff, naturalist or related
position at a residential outdoor education center, nature center,
or similar facility preferred.
• Previous experience in preparing lesson plans, outlines, or
guides in preparation to teach or facilitate activities.
• Previous experience leading or facilitating groups in team
• Ability to work effectively with co-workers and supervisors to
achieve the goals of the program.
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, please submit application and documents
through NIU online employment system at
https://employment.niu.edu/postings/55045 by March 4, 2021.
Applications will be considered immediately and interviews may
begin prior to March 4, 2021, but all applications received by this
date will be considered. Applications received after March 4 will
be considered as needed. For questions contact Lorado Taft Campus
director, Melanie Costello, email@example.com.
Link to Department Homepage
Ability to hike hilly terrain. Ability to be on feet for much of
Background Check Required
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an
equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis
of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age,
physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status,
sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political
affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional
qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and
state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to
nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries
regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required
to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and
to complete the required employment eligibility verification
document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and
application procedures include full opportunities for applicants
with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to
anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s
disability during either the application or interview process. An
applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate
in the employment process due to a disability may request that
accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form
. For further assistance,
please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity
and Education ( AAEOE ) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and
fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency
response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to
crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years.
The Annual Security Report containing security and safety
information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by
contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety
Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire
Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or
by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at
815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- List of at least 3 References
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)