THE OPPORTUNITY Houghton College is a nationally ranked
Christian college of the liberal arts and sciences and the
best-priced Christian college in the nation. With an enrollment of
nearly 1,000 students, Houghton has equipped graduates for lifelong
success since 1883 through customizable programs offered in Western
New York—Houghton, Buffalo, and online. The College offers more
than 50 undergraduate in-person and online programs, including
Equestrian Management, Data Science, Engineering and Christian
Ministries, as well as graduate programs in business, education and
• Personal Christian faith that informs and animates both one’s
professional and personal life, illustrated by active membership
and engagement in a local congregation.
• Respect for the doctrines and practices and theological
positions of The Wesleyan Church, and commitment to working in
harmony with and being supportive of them.
• Commitment and ability to articulate a Christian liberal arts
philosophy of education for the 21st century.
• Commitment to supporting and maintaining a college culture and
climate that is welcoming and inclusive for students, faculty, and
staff from diverse racial/ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
• Demonstrated leadership experience in an academic setting and
the capacity to provide that leadership in the context of a
Christian liberal arts college.
• Demonstrated ability to work with others as part of a
• Demonstrated skills in effective organizational and
• Demonstrated skills in managing budgets and using data to
• Earned doctorate or equivalent terminal credentials.
• Membership in, or willingness to join, the College’s
sponsoring denomination—The Wesleyan Church.
• Lead and develop the academic program of the College,
including the integration of co-curricular with curricular
• Serve as the institution’s chief academic officer and provide
leadership with respect to their intellectual, professional, and
• Work to ensure the overall quality of student academic
• Promote the spiritual formation of students in partnership
with the President, Dean of the Chapel, the Department of Religion
and Global Service, and the Chief Student Life Officer.
• Manage academic decision making and academic resource
allocation in the context of institutional priorities and ongoing
• Collaborate with the faculty’s elected leadership to set
faculty meeting agendas and guide deliberation. • Direct faculty
recruitment, evaluation, and development.
• Mediate unresolved issues pertaining to academic integrity
among students and faculty.
• Provide oversight and leadership for a portfolio which
includes an Associate Provost, the Registrar, Director of Honors,
Houghton College Buffalo, Houghton College Online, Center for Data
Science & Analytics, Center for Student Success, Library,
OffCampus Studies, and the Center for Faith & Justice, Global
• Chair the Academic Council and the Rank and Tenure
• Serve as senior leader assigned to support the Board of
Trustees' Academic Affairs Committee.
• Represent Houghton in the larger world of higher education
both inside and outside of the Christian community.
Applicants, potential applicants, and nominators may direct
questions to the Office of the President at Houghton College at
(585) 567- 9310. Individuals interested in the Provost and Chief
Academic Officer position should review the missional statements
(www.houghton.edu/employment) and submit a letter of interest and
full curriculum vitae electronically to the Office of the President
at: email@example.com. We will not contact any references
without prior approval. Nominators may submit names and contact
information via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications
will be reviewed as they are submitted until the position is
Houghton College is fully committed to a culturally diverse
faculty, staff and student body. Successful candidates will
evidence similar commitments.
Houghton College is a Christian college of the liberal arts and
sciences, sponsored by The Wesleyan Church. Houghton asserts its
right to employ persons who subscribe to the intent, mission,
Statement of Faith and Community Responsibilities of the
The College complies with all federal, state, and local
non-discrimination in employment laws and encourages the
application of females and underrepresented populations.