The Medical Assistant will be responsible for administrative and
clinical support services in primary care within a team-based model
Staff is expected to uphold the health center mission by assuring
that patients receive health care that is competent, caring, and
meets with a high degree of quality and satisfaction. In addition,
staff must support FPCN's and Drexel University’s Stephen and
Sandra Sheller 11th Street Health Center’s commitment to the
creation of a trauma-informed system of care that continually
recognizes and responds to the impact of traumatic stress on all
those who have contact with the organization, including children,
adults, families, caregivers, and staff.
Direct Patient Care:
1. Prepares the environment to assure that the all necessary
equipment/information is available for effective and efficient care
during the visit.
2. Works in a team-based model of care in which Medical Assistants
play an equal role with other health professionals in the delivery
and promotion of quality care for our patients.
3. Greets and actively engages with patients and assists the
patients to feel prepared for their visit.
4. Triages patients, including but not limited to: vital signs,
weight and height, EKGs, eye and hearing exams, in house labs, peak
flows, and health screenings.
5. Assures that all documentation is correct and complete.
6. Works with the CRNP to provide comprehensive care. In addition,
works collaboratively with health professionals from multiple
disciplines across the center to promote the health and wellbeing
of our patients.
7. Maintain medical records using standard filing systems, as
8. Performs inventory control and ordering supplies, as
9. Initiates and performs rapid HIV testing, including obtaining
10. Completes necessary paperwork.
11. Assists with office procedures.
12. Prepares and administers immunizations and medication
injections as ordered.
13. Collects and preserves bodily fluids, blood, and other
Indirect Patient Care:
1. Prepares forms for visit.
2. Prepares and forwards requests for referrals as assigned, which
may involve all or some of the following: obtaining health
insurance authorization, completing referral form, making referral
appointment for patient, coordinating on-site Transportation
Services, and notifying patient when referral is complete.
3. Prepares and forwards request for medication refills, as
General laboratory services:
1. Performs a variety of standard lab tests with standing orders
from primary care providers (including but not limited to blood
sugars, urine dip, etc).
2. Prepares laboratory specimens to assure the correct
3. Completes all paperwork and forms related to the handling of
specimens and document all actions in the patient record.
Maintenance of laboratory-related equipment and supplies:
1. Takes inventory of supplies on a regular basis, orders supplies,
and stores upon their arrival. 2. Ensures lab equipment properly
maintained, which includes knowledge of routine handling/usage,
storage, and cleansing/sterilization. Have equipment serviced at
recommended intervals according to manufacturer’s and/or OSHA
1. Assists the primary care providers and clinical nurse in
collecting information related to triaging patients.
1. Consistently practices universal precautions.
2. Participates in relevant Practice committees.
3. Performs additional duties related to the responsibilities of
the Medical Assistant as directed by supervisor.
4. Substitutes for Medical Assistants at other practices, when
deemed necessary by supervisor.
5. Supports smooth functioning of practice by completing data entry
6. Receives cross-training as a Patient Service Representative and
substitutes for this role at the Practice when deemed necessary by
supervisor. This includes scheduling, registration, updating
patient records, answering phones, and other duties as
- HS Diploma or GED
- Current Medical Assistant Certification in Commonwealth of
- Familiarity with an Electronic Medical Record system
- Exhibit behaviors that align with RHD/FPCN’s and Drexel
University’s CNHP, 11th Street’s organizational values, mission,
and beliefs and avoid displaying behaviors that are in opposition
to those values.
- Support FPCN's and Drexel University’s Stephen and Sandra
Sheller 11th Street Health Center’s commitment to the creation of a
trauma-informed system of care that continually recognizes and
responds to the impact of traumatic stress on all those who have
contact with the organization, including children, adults,
families, caregivers, and staff.
- Demonstrate cultural competence/proficiency in interactions
with others by treating co-workers, colleagues and those receiving
service with respect and fairness at all times.
- Ability to build and maintain positive and professional
relationships based on respect, trust, and safety.
- Ability to create a space for staff and those we serve to feel
physically and emotionally safe.
- Ability to support individuals on their paths to recovery and
healing and resist re-traumatization of staff and patients.
- Demonstrate exemplary problem-solving, communication,
interpersonal, and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Highly responsible and reliable as well as courteous
- Unconditional ability to maintain patient confidentiality
- Exemplary organizational skills and ability to prioritize
This position is classified as Non-exempt
with a salary
grade of F.
Position starts at $16/hr, but commensurate with
For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when
submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is
Feb 21 2022 Eastern Standard Time
Sep 12 2022 Eastern Daylight Time