The Office of Health Affairs within the West Virginia University
Health Sciences Center is seeking applications for a Senior Program
Evaluation Specialist. The Senior Program Evaluator serves as
a lead principal investigator for evaluation-based contracts and
grants within the WVU Office of Health Affairs. Senior program
Evaluators must have experience leading complex evaluation studies
with multidisciplinary team members and have a demonstrated history
of contribution to the evaluation field through publishing. A
program evaluator should be familiar with current data-gathering
techniques and technology, and have experience leading work in at
least one area of federally sponsored program evaluation
initiatives, such as by the Centers for Disease Control, Substance
Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, or Centers for
Medicare and Medicaid Services. The ideal candidate has a
team-oriented attitude and has experience teaching or training
others in the program evaluation.
West Virginia University’s Office of Health Affairs frequently
engages in collaborative efforts with West Virginia’s Department of
Health and Human Resources (DHHR) and other state agencies. Ideal
candidates will have work experience that aligns with the mission
of DHHR’s Bureau for Medical Services, Bureau for Children and
Families, Bureau for Behavioral Health and Bureau for Public
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal
- Lead principal investigator for complex evaluation programs
comprised of multidisciplinary program team members.
- Serve as a University representative and liaison to the
West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources for the
planning and performance of projects, programs and activities
involving health data analytics and program evaluation.
- Work as part of a team to advance the partnership between the
West Virginia University Health Sciences Center and the West
Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
- Facilitate communication and efficient collaboration
between research partners at the West Virginia University Health
Sciences Center and the staff of the West Virginia Department of
Health and Human Resources.
- Design and develop primary data collection measures and program
- Monitor and evaluate quality improvement initiatives through
data collection and analysis.
- Conduct routine analysis on program process and outcome
- Identify program improvement initiatives by working closely
with program staff.
- Provide relevant training to staff on different evaluation
- Draft written reports and presentations to Office of Health
Affairs leadership and DHHR leadership related to evaluation
processes and findings.
- Consult appropriate personnel as needed to facilitate ongoing
process of program design, implementation and revision.
- Work with stakeholders to lead the development of comprehensive
and evidence-based strategic evaluation plans that identifies and
prioritizes evaluation activities including program logic models
and both process and outcome measures.
- Work with stakeholders to implement evaluation plans for
prioritized program areas.
- Develop data collection protocol and instrumentation necessary
to conduct in-depth evaluation studies.
- Conduct reviews of program-related documents, data files,
published information and official reports.
- Build internal evaluation capacity with all full-time program
- Manage data agreements and relationships with all necessary
stakeholders and partners.
- Other duties as assigned. Act in other matters and
capacities as delegated by the Assistant Vice President for Health
Affairs and the Director of Evaluation Services.
- Supervise and mentor research
- Earned PhD in Public Health or related field.
- Three (3) years of experience in the following:
- Leading and directing teams as a principal investigator in
- Demonstrated program evaluation experience required.
- Extensive knowledge of best practices in program
- Ability to engage with, listen to, and learn form a broad range
of evaluation stakeholders encouraging their meaningful
- Ability to identify limitations of one’s evaluation expertise
and devise methods for acquiring additional evaluation
knowledge when necessary.
- Ability to educate program staff and partners about evaluation
concepts and methods.
- Skilled in working with stakeholders to develop feasible
recommendations based on data collected and interpreted.
- Ability to prepare and present evaluation results in a manner
that increases the likelihood that they will be used and
accepted by a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Ability to develop action plans and systems to facilitate and
track implementation of evaluation findings and
- Skilled in developing and implementing a communications and
dissemination plan as requested or required.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and
resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As
West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that
touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518
buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55
counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in
Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in
Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley
— the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8
million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation
are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another
to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new
heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just
another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career
opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender
equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff,
and students, and invites applications from all qualified
applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender
identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics,
disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Oct 5, 2021 Posting
Classification: FE/AP Exemption Status: Exempt Benefits
Eligible: Yes Schedule: Full-time