The Office of Health Affairs within the West Virginia University
Health Sciences Center is seeking applications for a Senior
Research Associate. The Senior Research Associate is a key
participant in the State-University partnership between the West
Virginia University Health Sciences Center and the West Virginia
DHHR. The Senior Research Associate will serve as a principal
investigator on contracts leading interdisciplinary research,
policy research, or program implementation and trainings
translating research findings. Overarching responsibilities include
working with the State to leverage their data and conducting
relevant policy and evaluation research, or program implementation
West Virginia University’s Office of Health Affairs frequently
engages in collaborative efforts with West Virginia’s Department of
Health and Human Resources (DHHR). Ideal candidates will have work
experience that aligns with the mission of DHHR’s Bureau for
Medical Services, Bureau for Children and Families, Bureau for
Behavioral Health and Bureau for Public Health.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal
- Lead multidisciplinary research and evaluation teams in
using Medicaid claims data or other state data sources to answer
research questions of interest to the state.
- Facilitate communication and efficient collaboration
between research partners at the West Virginia University Health
Sciences Center and the staff of the West Virginia Department of
Health and Human Resources.
- Ensure that data analytic and research/evaluation activities
are compliant with University-level policies for the responsible
conduct of research as well as federal, and state
- Provide consultation to faculty and government partners
regarding preparation of research proposals, design and
methodology, data analytics and interpretation of
- Serve as a University representative and liaison to the
West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources for the
planning and performance of projects, programs and activities
involving health data analytics and program evaluation.
- Work as part of a team to advance the partnership between the
West Virginia University Health Sciences Center and the West
Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
- Identify opportunities for potential collaborations between the
Health Sciences Center and the West Virginia Department of Health
and Human Resources as well as other state and nonprofit
- Prepare reports as required by the University, the Health
Sciences Center administration, and external agencies.
Communicate results of analytic projects and program
evaluations with relevant leadership and stakeholders.
- Work closely with WVU OHA leadership and the Director of
Evaluation Services to proactively identify and resolve issues that
may adversely affect OHA research and evaluation programs.
- Conduct or direct special projects as assigned.
Act in other matters and capacities as delegated by the
Assistant Vice President for Health Affairs or the Director of
- Lead the development of publishing relevant
- Earned PhD in health or data science-related field.
- Three (3) years of experience in the following:
- Post terminal degree experience leading grants or
- Record of research and achievement in health outcomes and
policy research (health services research, public health
informatics, health policy, clinical outcomes) as evidenced by
publications and/or sustained involvement in a research
- Conducting research/evaluation using large health data sources
within the healthcare industry or academic or governmental
- Experience designing and overseeing large research
- Experience leading multidisciplinary teams.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in utilizing large health
databases for research, program evaluation, and policy
- Experience analyzing Medicaid administrative claims data or
other government program data.
- Extensive knowledge in the use of standard statistical analysis
packages such as SAS or R.
- Record of successfully publishing peer-reviewed manuscripts in
the field of health services research.
- Experience training and/or supervising other individuals in
using statistical analysis packages to analyze administrative
- Ability to project and maintain a positive and collaborative
- Record of accomplishments in the area of health data
- Strong ability to communicate goals, methods, and results of
research initiatives with key stakeholders.
- Proficiency presenting the results of data analyses to diverse
groups of stakeholders.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and
resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As
West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that
touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518
buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55
counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in
Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in
Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley
— the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8
million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation
are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another
to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new
heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just
another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career
opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender
equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff,
and students, and invites applications from all qualified
applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender
identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics,
disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Oct 5, 2021 Posting
Classification: FE/AP Exemption Status: Exempt Benefits
Eligible: Yes Schedule: Full-time