Adjunct Faculty - Dental Assisting
Full Time or Part Time
Fixed Term/Tenure Track
Hiring Salary Range
Salary Commensurate with Education and Experience
Job Description Summary
The instructor is responsible for the coordination, planning,
preparation, presentation, and evaluation of classroom instruction
and related activities during the day, evening, or weekend via
instructional delivery formats to include face-to-face, hybrid,
online, and remote. Face-to-face and hybrid classes may be offered
on any Prince George’s Community College campus. The instructor
must remain current in the discipline area and continually explore
teaching methods and strategies to engage learners, organize and
plan instructional content that accommodates diverse learning
styles, and devise appropriate assessment tools that monitor
student learning outcomes. The instructor is also responsible for
participating in related activities to include professional
development, academic advising, curriculum design.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree ( Preferred ) in a
- Pertinent professional experience may be substituted for the
master’s degree at the discretion of the Dean/Program
- Minimum of 5 years chair-side field experience in four-handed
- Experience in dental front desk office administration
- Proficient in the use of Eaglesoft and Dentrix dental
- Prior dental teaching/instructor experience required
- Radiation Health and Safety ( RHS ) exam prep experience
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) skills preferred.
CRITERIA : The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria
used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the
applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process.
Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application.
Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed
below for this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Plan, organize, and teach curriculum content in conjunction
with course outcomes.
- Using applicable technology and pedagogical principles, teach
course content via an appropriate delivery format to include
face-to-face, hybrid, online, and remote instruction.
- Complete mandated institutional trainings and professional
development trainings related to content discipline and
- Facilitate appropriate instructional activities that promote
student engagement and learning.
- Evaluate student performance using assessment tools that align
with established course objectives and outcomes.
- Create and administer assessments that monitor student progress
and provide timely student feedback.
- Provide an orientation at the first class meeting to include an
overview of the course syllabus. The overview should include an
outline of course objectives, requirements, attendance policy,
grading system, textbook(s), and supplemental materials.
- Notify students of key academic dates and course adjustments,
maintain an up-to-date, electronic grade book, and enter final
grades by the established due date.
- Maintain accurate records and submit class records (as
appropriate) to the Department Chair or Program Coordinator by the
established due date, and participate in the departmental
evaluation and course assessment process.
- Maintain office hours, advise students, and refer students to
- Adjunct faculty are expected to respond to student emails and
phone calls within 48 hours with the exception of weekends and
holidays. Faculty are expected to maintain regular communication
with students and should exclusively use the assigned PGCC
- Attend all required meetings.
- Perform all other duties as directed by the Department Chair,
Program Coordinator, or designee.
- Remote and Online teaching
- Technology skills and computer literacy
- Critical thinking, organization, and conflict management
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Research skills
- Time management
- Planning and organization
- Problem-solving and analytical ability
Is Background Check Required?
- Must be available to work Monday – Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00
p.m. Work schedule subject to change based on the needs of the
- Current Dental Assisting National Board ( DANB ) Certified
Dental Assistant ( CDA ), Dental Hygienist, or Dentist
- Current DANB Radiation Health and Safety ( RHS )
- Registered Maryland Dental Assistant Qualified in General
Duties ( EFDA )
- Current CPR certification
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present
acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a
U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
Is the incumbent responsible for working with minor children or
directly engaging with minor children on campus?
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Special Instructions to Applicants
Prince George’s Community College values the safety of its
students, faculty, and staff. As part of that commitment, the
College has announced effective October 21, 2021, all students,
faculty, and staff must be vaccinated against COVID -19 or tested
for the virus weekly. As a prospective or new employee, you will be
required to comply with this mandate and all the necessary safety
protocols, including wearing a mask. Please direct your questions
related to the vaccination, testing, mask mandates, and
requirements for exemptions to VMPO@pgcc.edu
; you will receive an email acknowledging
receipt of your application, upon which time no further
communication occurs unless selected for an interview or the
position is filled. If recommended for hire, communication is
immediately sent to your references listed on your application.
Also, you will receive an email notification from HireRight
requesting you to submit authorization to complete a background
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe
campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record
check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial
(credit) report or driving history check.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following best describes your level of completed
education? (Education details must be included in your
- Master's Degree or above from an accredited
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university
- Associate's Degree from an accredited college/university
- One to two years of college credit (30 credit hours is
equivalent to one year)
- Less than 30 credits from an accredited college/university
- High School Diploma or GED
- None of the above
- * Do you have a minimum of 5 years chair-side field experience
in four-handed dentistry?
- * Briefly explain your prior dental teaching/instructor
(Open Ended Question)
- * What certifications do you hold?
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Certifications - See Minimum Qualifications for type