Reporting to the President, the Vice President for Research
serves as the driver of new research initiatives in collaboration
with other research leaders at UT Health San Antonio. The Vice
President also holds the primary responsibility for planning,
developing, and implementing all research administration
initiatives in support of UT Health’s vision, mission, and
strategic priorities. The Vice President serves as the
institutional official for the institution’s Human Research
Protection Program, the Institutional Review Board, and the
Institutional Animal Care and Use Program and is responsible for
fostering a research climate that promotes adherence to high
ethical standards in the conduct of research. The successful
candidate will be a forward-leaning and pro-active facilitator and
leader who will add value to research programs across the
- Collaborates with University leaders for the stimulation,
strategic planning, and institutional oversight of research
activities in the areas of biomedical sciences, translational
research, and clinical trials.
- Supports, fosters, and promotes a culture of innovation and
research integrity at the University.
- Provides direction, resources, and oversight to help ensure
that appropriate institutional policies and procedures are
developed, implemented, communicated, and maintained to promote
compliant, ethical, and responsible design, conduct, reporting, and
reviewing of research in accordance with federal, state, and local
regulations and sponsoring agency policies and procedures.
- Develops and oversees partnerships with industry, government,
and external partner institutions, nationally and internationally
to promote the research mission.
- Creates an environment and culture that facilitates,
encourages, inspires, nurtures, and supports discovery by enabling
and assisting faculty with identifying and securing external
research funds through regional, national, and international grants
(institutional and individual), partnerships and contracts.
- Collaborates with research leadership in each of the five UT
Health SA schools to add value to the overall research
- Assesses the annual compilation, analysis, and effectiveness of
UT Health San Antonio’s research budget, to include the Human
Research Protection Program, the Institutional Animal Care Program,
and the Laboratory Animal Resources budgets.
- Oversees the disbursement and management of institutional
discretionary research funds in the pursuit and promotion of
horizontal integration of research activities.
- Assists the Office of Sponsored Programs in reporting
performance measures regarding research initiatives.
Doctorate in biomedical sciences, health professions, clinical
sciences, nursing, or equivalent.
- At least five (5) years of leadership experience in the areas
of research administration, research regulation, and/or
- Strong record of scholarly activities including sustained
research and extramural funding, multidisciplinary collaborations
and development of research programs.
- Strong ability to build partnerships to meet shared objectives,
collaborating across and within different levels of the
organization and focusing on incorporating differing views in ways
that lead to enriched business decisions.
- Experience developing, implementing and measuring strategies
and programs based on interdisciplinary work to improve processes
and facilitate innovation.