As a school recognized for academic excellence where 100% of our
students attend college, the South Carolina Governor’s School for
Science and Mathematics (GSSM) invites applications for a College
Counselor. This is a full-time, 12-month position reporting to the
Director of College Counseling and Advising.
- Bachelor’s degree and experience in college admissions and/or
college counseling. Master’s degree preferred.
- Possess an in-depth knowledge of colleges and universities as
well as an understanding of the current college admissions
- Proficiency in MS Office, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint,
and familiarity with using a student database for college
admissions such as Scoir or Naviance.
- Intimate knowledge of the financial aid process.
- Excellent communication, writing, and public-speaking
- Availability to work evenings and weekends for special
- Ability to coordinate and accomplish tasks in a deadline-driven
- A strong sense of ethics and professionalism.
- A team-oriented approach to all aspects of the college
counseling process and a collaborative spirit of engagement in all
- Commitment to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive
- Ability to work collaboratively on a team with humility,
patience, and a sense of humor.
- Experience working with high school students in an advanced and
specialized academic environment is preferable.
- Experience working with students virtually (i.e. via Zoom) is a
- Working closely with the individual students in their assigned
caseload (residential, virtual-at home high school, and virtual-at
home students), recommending colleges for each student to consider
based on the student’s interests, and helping each student with the
college application process, including reviewing essays.
- Counseling the student and parent(s)/guardian(s) through every
stage of the college admission process, including applications for
merit scholarships, honors programs, and applying for financial
- Write supportive, relevant, and compelling letters of
- Preparing school documents for student’s applications and
submitting via SCOIR.
- Communicating effectively with parents, via individual
student/parent meetings and written correspondence.
- Participate as an instructor in GSSM’s College Planning Seminar
in fall and spring, conducting classes on applying to college,
resume building, and writing compelling and effective college
- Build and foster strong relationships with college and
scholarship representatives to best advocate for our students.
- Assist with the administration of standardized testing (PSAT,
SAT, ACT, Career Readiness exams, and AP exams).
- Develop and expand long-term relationships with colleges and
- Pursue on-going professional development by attending
conferences and college tours.
- Demonstrate proven ability to multi-task, organize events,
shift gears, make decisions quickly and most importantly, have
This is a full-time (12-month) position with State benefits and
salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The
position start date is as soon as possible, but it will remain open
Please apply electronically. Forward a cover letter and
resume, along with the GSSM/State Application, available on our
website (www.scgssm.org/employment), to Careers@gssm.k12.sc.us.
Include “College Counselor” in the subject line.
The Governor’s School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.