The University of Southern California Rossier School of
Education seeks an experienced media relations and
promotion/publicity professional to help our Communications team
raise Rossier’s public profile and promote its work through our
expanding mediums and channels. Reporting to the Executive Director
of Communications, the Director publicizes Rossier’s news and
achievements, people, organizations including our ten research
centers, and strategic initiatives to national, regional and local
print and electronic media; in Rossier’s social media channels;
through a monthly e-newsletter; and through promotion and publicity
for activities and events.
- Develops strategy for cultivating and maintaining effective
working relationships with writers, editors and producers in the
print and electronic media.
- Determines and organizes media campaigns to align with
school/division and USC strategic initiatives. Determines
priorities for this outreach and manages media pushes. Performs
daily media monitoring; reports results and posts media placements
on the Rossier website.
- Crafts pitches, news releases, backgrounders, biographies, and
other materials; compiles facts/statistics, photography and
multimedia materials, and press kits as needed.
- Provides consultative services to School personnel on media and
publicity strategies, including positioning, writing/editing and
placement of opinion-editorials, essays, research studies, and
other thought leadership.
- Responds to media requests for information and experts. Advises
on appropriate School experts/spokespeople for stories.
- Promotes and arranges interviews between Rossier principals and
media representatives. Provides pre-interview preparation and
coaching to spokespeople and follows up with media source to
complete and promote resulting stories.
- Promotes Rossier stories for inclusion in USC News online and
USC print vehicles and coordinates media opportunities with the
central Media Relations team.
- Plans and conducts press events and hosts/guides media
representatives when attending on-campus events, facilitating
introductions to Rossier and USC VIPs.
- Strategizes, compiles, edits and produces monthly Rossier
newsletter for its large internal/external audience.
- Writes and posts news stories for the Rossier website.
- Writes news and feature stories for semiannual USC Rossier
Magazine and may contribute to the Rossier Blog.
- Writes clear, engaging, accurate, and compelling copy in a
variety of styles appropriate to target audiences.
- Interprets specialized and/or academic material to produce
written communication pieces for desired audience.
- Researches, verifies accuracy, reads, proofs, edits and
Promotion and Publicity
- Promotes Rossier news on all appropriate School social media
channels and sets goals for audience outreach and growth.
- Promotes and publicizes Rossier activities such as speaking
events, public webinars and major student-, alumni-, and research
center-focused events through all appropriate channels.
- Contributes perspective/review or hands-on work to special
projects as assigned: presentation development, speeches,
photography and videography, graphic design, event emcee duties,
- Travels to support/promote Rossier, as assigned.
- May oversee staff, students, freelancers, volunteers, and/or
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum: Bachelor's degree; 3 years’ relevant professional
experience including strong background in press and media
Preferred: Master’s degree. 7 years’ relevant professional
experience, preferably in a Public Relations, Journalism or
Communications organization or agency, or gained by performing
those and related duties within an organization. Nonprofit
experience desired; higher education experience strongly preferred.
Knowledge of and interest in the field of education a strong
- Experience with current communication forms such as social
media, E-marketing (Constant Contact) and media (Cision, Muckrack)
and web monitoring tools (Google Analytics).
- Experience producing web and social media content and managing
- Experience with web design and layout (HTML, Drupal),
infographics and other design tools.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud software such as In-Design
- Exceptional writing, editing and proofreading skills. Thorough
knowledge of the fundamentals of writing, grammar, syntax, style
- Experience with marketing/communication activities and
- Extreme attention to detail with strong project management and
- Good interpersonal communication skills, including active
listening and effective collaboration skills.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are integral to our university
and school’s commitment to excellence in research, engagement, and
education. We encourage applications from candidates who identify
with groups that are historically underrepresented in the academy
to apply. Further, we encourage all applicants, as a
component of their application package to discuss their experience
or commitment to engaging with diversity through activities such as
fostering an inclusive environment, working with students from
diverse backgrounds, or incorporating diverse perspectives.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume and at least
one writing sample. Incomplete applications will not be