The Organization: The Georgia Historical
Society (GHS) is the premier independent statewide institution
responsible for collecting, examining, and teaching Georgia
history. GHS houses the oldest and most distinguished collection of
materials related exclusively to Georgia history in the nation. To
learn more, go to www.georgiahistory.com.
Summary: An educational and research
institution, GHS is committed to teaching the full story of
America’s past while holding firmly to the belief that an
unflinching examination of our nation’s failures, as well as our
successes, is crucial to maintaining our democratic republic and
encourages us to live up to our ideals and aspirations. GHS is
seeking an outgoing, organized, and politically savvy individual to
join our team as Director of Community Engagement to oversee an
initiative focused on examining the history of race and inequality
in America. The ideal candidate will focus on engaging diverse
community and business leaders in the exploration of our collective
history while delving into difficult, but necessary, conversations
that move us toward solutions to systemic racism in our
The Director of Community Engagement will have a passion for
building bridges between the academy and the public, leveraging
their deep knowledge of American history to create opportunities
for cooperative learning and civil discourse among diverse
audiences. The person in this role will lead efforts to effectively
engage Georgia citizens in community conversations intended to
inform development of new programming and resources to help
business leaders, teachers, and the broader community better
understand how our nation’s past has influenced present-day
policies and social movements. By equipping Georgia’s leaders with
historical knowledge, they will be better able to evaluate and
develop policies and practices that are just, inclusive, and
Responsibilities include (Incumbent may perform other
duties as assigned):
- Work as part of a collaborative team, leading development and
implementation of plans to engage corporate, non-profit, and civic
leaders, community groups, teachers, and the general public to help
inform new programming and resource development.
- Develop and deliver curricular and training resources for new
strategic initiatives, including in-person and virtual training
- Develop and manage the implementation of program evaluation
tools, analyzing and interpreting data to strengthen community
engagement programs and initiatives.
- Develop and strengthen relationships with external partners to
enhance GHS programs and collecting initiatives.
- Represent the organization in local, statewide, and national
media as well as with donors, board members, volunteers, and the
- Assist in the development of grant applications and support
implementation, compliance, and programmatic reporting of funded
- Supervise, monitor, and appraise assigned personnel.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Experience developing and facilitating trainings for diverse
audiences, with a preference for experience developing trainings at
the executive and chief executive levels.
- Experience in project leadership and the development,
implementation, and monitoring of community engagement programs and
- Capacity to think strategically about building and sustaining
relationships with organizational partners and community
- Highly comfortable working with and among people from diverse
socioeconomic and political backgrounds.
- Experience building partnerships with businesses, non-profit
organizations, community groups, and other external partners.
- Excellent organizational skills with strong customer-service
- Ability to speak publicly and represent GHS in community and
- Excellent written communication skills, including experience
developing position papers and briefing documents.
- Experience working with government or leadership committees
Education: Master’s Degree from an accredited
university in a related field, such as History, Political Science,
Public Affairs, Sociology, Law, or Business.
Required experience: Minimum of six years in
community engagement, public affairs, program development, or
To Apply: Please send cover letter including
resume and relevant writing sample (of no more than three pages)
Director of Community Engagement
Georgia Historical Society
104 West Gaston Street
Savannah, GA 31401
No phone calls please