Campus Facilities Management, Health Sciences Campus
The UMKC Campus Facilities Management department is seeking an
experienced, customer-service focused HVAC professional to join
their busy team. Located on the Hospital Hill and Volker campus,
this individual must be known for their positive, team-oriented
attitude, and be able to successfully work with frequent
interruptions, while meeting deadlines and producing high-quality
work. Successful applicants will have outstanding communication
skills, be able to take instructions, and troubleshoot and come up
with good resolutions.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Install, repair, and maintain HVAC systems, including hot water
and steam heating systems and chilled water cooling systems
- Perform preventative maintenance procedures on HVAC pneumatic,
electric, electronic and DDC control systems; diagnose control
problems and overhaul, either individually or as part of a team,
various building pneumatic, electric, electronic and DDC control
- The individual in this position must be committed to top
quality customer service. This is a busy campus, with public
contact, and many customers who are seen on an ongoing basis. This
person must make a strong, professional first impression, and
establish strong, positive rapport with customers.
- Due to necessary fluctuations of workloads in the skill area,
an incumbent in this class may be required to perform duties
outside his/her trade area, which may include plumbing and
electrical duties. Normal safety requirements, scheduling and the
most efficient use of staff and equipment are taken into
consideration in such assignments.
- Utilize testing equipment to check controls and to balance air
- Read blue prints, plan drawings, and writing drawings in order
to complete assignments.
- Perform sheet-metal work and duct and diffuser
- Operate and maintain centrifugal chillers and steam absorption
- Clean, maintain, safely operate and properly store all tools
- Observe and enforce all safety requirements related to
- Must be able to work outside in cold and snowy/icy
- Other duties as assigned
- A high school diploma or an equivalent combination of education
and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be
acquired is necessary, as well as five years actual HVAC work
experience and training, including the equivalent of apprenticeship
or vocational training.
- Ability to read blueprints, plans, drawings, and wiring
- A valid driver’s license is required
- Skill in maintenance and use of HVAC tools, equipment and
- A person working in this classification will need on a daily
basis, to be able to:
- Grasp, lift, maneuver, rotate, and otherwise use small to large
trades tools and equipment.
- Grasp, lift, carry, and set down heavy (50-80 lbs)
- Grasp, turn, twist, pull, push, lift, and otherwise move
equipment, controls, parts, etc.
- Visually assess maintenance, construction and repair
- Climb and work from ladders, stairs, and scaffolding.
Full Time/Part Time
- Three years of experience installing, repairing and/or
replacing pneumatic, electric, electronic and DDC heating,
ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) control systems according
to design drawings and/or specifications.
- Experience with Honeywell control systems.
Full time position.
$18.38 - $24.36/hour, commensurate with experience and
Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; occasional nights
There is two openings, one on the Hospital Hill Campus and one on
the Volker Campus.
Position is open until filled. Review of applications to begin
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter,
resume, and list of five references with contact information) into
one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB.
Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (800)
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and
applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated
ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis
of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression,
age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status
protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not
be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of
religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military
organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of
Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more
information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If
you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or
functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative
Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use
the following links:
UMKC Statement on Diversity
UMKC values diversity as central to its mission as an urban-serving
research university and as a driver of excellence in teaching and
learning. UMKC embraces a broad spectrum of diversities, including
race, ethnicity, culture, nationality, gender, age, sexual
orientation, disability, linguistic ability, learning style,
religion, socioeconomic and veteran status, life experiences,
educational level and family structure. For more information on our
diversity mission, visit the Office of Diversity and Inclusion
UMKC is the largest comprehensive, fully accredited university in
the Kansas City area. Our students come from all 50 states and over
85 countries, enriching our community with diverse perspectives.
With more than 125 academic areas, our students have a lot of
opportunities to explore on their way to discovering and creating
their perfect career. We are at the heart of a thriving urban area
where the city’s life and energy influence everything that happens
here. We are Kansas City’s university and we can’t wait for you to
join us! Find out more about UMKC in the About UMKC section
Details about UMKC’s community and the benefits of being an
employee can be found on our careers page.