At Unity, sustainability isn't a buzzword. It's the foundation
of our entire approach and has been for more than 50 years.
We apply sustainability principles to everything we do, from our
properties around the State of Maine, to our online degrees offered
to students everywhere, to our enrichment experiences and
entrepreneurial endeavors at locations from northern Maine to
Arizona to Brazil.
Engage with Unity College and you'll start to ask tough
questions, challenge the status quo, and envision new
possibilities. If taking the lead in creating a more sustainable
future sounds like the future you want, we can make it happen.
The Payroll and Benefits Specialist is an Enterprise position
that is responsible for benefits administration and processing
payroll. The position works closely with the Chief Human Resources
Officer in support of the Enterprise, and Unity College's
Sustainable Education Business Units (SEBUs). The Payroll and
Benefits Specialist carries out responsibilities in the following
functional areas: benefits administration, payroll and onboarding;
training and employment law compliance.
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Manages Unity College's Worker's Compensation program.
- Processes bi-weekly payroll. Verifies payroll documents and
distributes payroll checks.
- Ensures compliance with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Manages the Time and Attendance System and acts as point of
contact for payroll and timekeeping system.
- Manage annual W-2 reporting.
- Monitors PTO in timekeeping system to ensure accuracy. Creates
reports as required.
- Reviews quarterly 941 reporting for accuracy.
- Participates in developing unit goals, objectives and
- Manages transfer of Unity College DC Retirement Plan
contributions to Carrier.
- Performs benefits administration, including claims resolution,
change reporting, and communicating benefits information to
employees. Maintains all employment and employee benefit records in
a legal and confidential manner. Reconciles monthly billing.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state and local employment
and benefits laws and regulations.
- Conducts reference checks, and applicant background checks for
candidates as required.
- Conducts initial onboarding of all new hires and participates
in new employee orientation. Distributes and collects new hire
paperwork and ensures applicable information is updated in the HRIS
system. Follows new hire checklist to ensure all records are
updated with new hire information.
- Conducts exit interviews for non-exempt employees, records and
brings concerns to Director of Human Resources.
- Responds to requests for employee information from employees,
auditors, regulatory agencies, credit bureaus, unemployment, and
finance companies and those requesting confirmation of an
employee's employment, providing only authorized information.
- Provides accurate and timely data entry and tracking of
employee information in HRIS. Creates reports as needed.
- Prepares and distributes reports and correspondence as needed
including providing information for organizational chart
- Travels to all Enterprise locations to conduct HR Business as
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures
- Other duties as assigned.
POSITION SPECIFIC EDUCATION, SKILLS AND COMPENTCIES:
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resource Management or Business with
at least 1 - 3 years of job-related experience or any similar
combination of education and experience.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft products.
Knowledge of payroll systems.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to
questions from managers, students, parents and the general
- Ability to calculate figures and to apply concepts such as
fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and
draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality in all
matters concerning personnel records, payroll, investigations and
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task and establish priorities for meeting
deadlines, using time efficiently.
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous and well poised.
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP).