The Director of Student Financial Services is an Enterprise
position that supports the day-to-day operations and functions of
Student Financial Services, ensuring all federal regulations are
followed. This position will supervise the Assistant Director and
Coordinator of Student Financial Services and reports to the
Executive Director of Student Financial Services. The position
ensures that students in all SEBUs are processed in an accurate and
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Determine students' eligibility for assistance and coordinate
the disbursement of funds.
- Counsel students and their families regarding availability of
financial assistance and eligibility.
- Disseminate information to students, staff, and faculty
regarding financial aid.
- Administer the Student Work-Study Program.
- Manage payment plans and bill students.
- Provide support to admissions through presentations to
prospective students and families as well as individual
- Responsible for creating a soft collection plan to assist the
Business Office on planning for annual account write-off
- Represent Student Financial Services in the SAP review of
- Responsible for supervision of Assistant Director and the
Coordinator of Student Financial Services in accordance with the
Unity College's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities
include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning,
assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding
and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving
- Responsible for the annual set-up of student health insurance
- Ensure accuracy of grade and loan progression for students
using the BBAY model.
- Assist with Powerfaids set-up, testing, and implementation
annually and on an as needed basis.
- Complete Return to Title IV calculations with the support of
the Assistant Director.
- Assist with the reconciliation of Federal funds.
- Support the Executive Director with federal reporting
- Other duties as assigned.
UNITY COLLEGE INSTITUTIONAL RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Demonstrates commitment to Unity College's core values and
serves as a role model for the College's standards of conduct.
- Contributes to the College's commitment to sustainability and
contributes to the College's commitment to support a diverse and
inclusive working and learning environment.
- Follows safety and infection control policies while assisting
with their enforcement.
- Assumes responsibility to maintain and upgrade professional
knowledge and skills with regulations, industry trends, current
practices, new developments, and applicable laws. In addition to
actively participating in Unity College Professional Development
days and Unity College required annual trainings.
- Demonstrates a high degree of commitment to customer service
and student success.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this position you must be able to execute
each of the position specific responsibilities while meeting the
Additionally, the position specific education, skills and
competencies listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill, and/or ability needed. Reasonable accommodations may be made
upon approval by the supervisor and Director of Human Resources, to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
POSITION SPECIFIC EDUCATION, SKILLS AND COMPENTCIES:
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of
- Bachelor's Degree. Master's degree preferred.
- Strong critical thinking and data analysis skills.
- Ability to work in a continually-changing environment, to take
the initiative to determine best practices, and to implement
- Supervisory experience.
- Budget management skills.
- The ability to assimilate and interpret complex data, and
sensitivity to issues related to recruitment and retention of a
diverse student body.
- Strong communication skills.
- Must have strong organizational and management skills.
- Ability to efficiently operate a personal computer and
associated software (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.)
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and
- Ability to interact in an effective and appropriate manner with
diverse populations, the Unity College community and the
- Ability to maintain files accurately, in paper and
- Ability to handle multiple tasks while maintaining quality
- Ability to effectively supervise staff.
- Ability to effectively manage student information systems.
- Ability to plan project outcomes and give attention to
- Ability to develop and implement operating policies and
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous and well poised.
WORK SCHEDULE / AVAILABILITY REQUIREMENTS
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days, evenings, weekends. Working extended hours may be
required as needed and Unity College employees must be flexible and
cooperative in fulfilling their responsibilities while meeting the
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly
required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally
required to stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift
and/or move up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by
this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision,
depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The use of
either hand for repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping and
turning, and fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use
the telephone for internal and external communications.
Work is performed mostly in an office setting. The noise level
in the work environment is normally moderate. Exposure to changes
of temperature or humidity 1-33% of the time.
POSITIONS AT UNITY COLLEGE ARE DEPENDENT ON THEIR VIABILITY
AND AN ESTABLISHED VIABILITY MATRIX. THE VIABILITY MATRIX FOR THIS
- The College has a total annual operating budget of at least
- The College continues to have enthusiastic support of the
enterprise model and has at least two credit bearing SEBUs.
- The College meets accreditation requirements to award Title IV
- The College continues to produce an unqualified clean financial
At Unity College, we don't just accept difference — we
celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of
our employees, our students, and our community.
Unity College is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is
an affirmative action employer.