The responsibility of the Professional STEM Tutor is to assist
students who need math, statistics, physics and other STEM help.
Professional STEM Tutors work in both our drop-in program (where
they work both individually and in small groups with students) and
in our one-on-one by appointment program. Professional STEM Tutors
will also lead larger, scheduled, group tutoring sessions, as
needed. Professional STEM tutors should at the least be well versed
in mathematics (from arithmetic to calculus) and
- Tutor students who request STEM assistance: individual to small
group sessions in math/stats drop-in, one-on-one appointments in
STEM disciplines. Tutoring can be online or in the center. Tutors
will write notes in our tutor management system for individual
- Training on specific topics related to assisting college
students with STEM subjects, dealing with students of concern, etc.
Training may be in person or online. Meeting with program
supervisors to discuss other issues.
- Facilitate large group tutoring sessions at the end of the
semester for final exam review.
- Master’s Degree or higher in a STEM discipline or related
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of successful strategies for tutoring a diverse,
college student population.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a
- Creativity and flexibility in the tutoring spaces/online is
Suffolk University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity
employer. The University is dedicated to the goal of building a
diverse and inclusive faculty and staff that reflect the broad
range of human experience who contribute to the robust exchange of
ideas on campus, and who are committed to teaching and working in a
diverse environment. We strongly encourage applications from groups
historically marginalized or underrepresented because of
race/color, gender, religious creed, disability, national origin,
veteran status or LGBTQ status. Suffolk University is especially
interested in candidates who, through their training, service and
experience, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the