ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (10 MONTHS)
Assistant Professor - Advertising
Academic Affairs, Division of
Communication and Media Studies
Mid to high $50,000
If Part-Time, enter FTE:
Is this a temporary position?
If Temporary, enter End Date:
SUNY Cortland is an engaged learning community that is committed to
promoting a diversity of thought and experience. We believe that an
equitable, inclusive and diverse campus and curriculum are critical
to our educational mission. Tenure-track faculty contribute to the
College’s values of inclusive excellence through outstanding
teaching, research and/or scholarship, service to the department
and college, and by providing academic advisement and mentoring
to/for all students. Faculty are expected to maintain a routine
presence on campus to support our Campus Values of Focusing on the
Students, Integrity, and Intellectual Life and serve our Campus
Priorities of Academic Excellence, Transformational Education,
Well-being, and the Maximization of Resources.
SUNY Cortland’s Communication and Media
Studies Department provides undergraduate programs in Communication
Studies, New Communication Media, Media Production, and Cinema
Studies. Our faculty are a diverse group of life-long learners and
curious global citizens committed to creating a respectful and
inclusive education and workplace environment. As a faculty, we
seek to nurture and inspire the next generation of culturally
competent media artists and communicators.
- Teach and assess learning in advertising and contribute to the
broad communication curriculum; participate in continued program
and curricular development
- Demonstrate a sustained and productive program of research or
- Engage in service to the department, school, college, and
- Sustain collegial relationships with faculty and staff
- Maintain regular office hours.
Faculty in the department are expected to maintain regular advising
and mentoring interaction with students from SUNY Cortland’s
diverse campus community in support of the College’s efforts to
ensure that students learn in an environment that actively promotes
a culture of inclusive excellence.
JOB REQUIREMENTS :
- Ability to teach advertising and related courses.
- Commitment to undergraduate education, excellent
organizational, and interpersonal skills including oral and written
communication skills and collegiality in interactions within and
outside of the campus community.
- Ability to provide excellence in teaching in support of an
equitable and inclusive scholarly environment
- Commitment to educating students to become engaged global
citizens with a strong social conscience and commitment to equity,
inclusion, and social justice
- Passion for teaching and mentoring undergraduate students of
all skill and ability levels, academic backgrounds, social and
cultural identities with diverse lived experiences.
- Commitment to treat others at all levels of the organization
with fairness and respect.
Functional and Supervisory Relationships
- Reports to the academic department chair
- Works closely with department faculty
- Ph.D. in Communication or related field.
- Demonstrated commitment to undergraduate education.
- Evidence of ability to provide excellence in teaching in
support of an equitable and inclusive scholarly environment
- Evidence of commitment to treating others at all levels of the
organization with fairness and respect.
- Meaningful professional experience in advertising or a closely
- Experience in the practice of social media advertising
- Expertise in advertising and culture/inclusive advertising
- Demonstrable commitment to educating students to become engaged
global citizens with a strong social conscience and commitment to
equity, inclusion, and social justice
- Prior successful teaching and mentoring undergraduate students
of all skill and ability levels, academic backgrounds, social and
cultural identities with diverse lived experiences.
- Experience working with people at different levels of an
organization to perform service activities in support of campus or
The State University of New York College at Cortland is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with
Disabilities Act (AA/ EEO / ADA ) employer. The University actively
seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a
disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would
enrich the diversity of the University.
Job Close Date
Review Start Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
For full consideration attach:
1) Letter of Application
2) curriculum vita
3) Names, addresses and phone numbers of at least three
4) Statement of Teaching Philosophy
5) Diversity Statement
: The Communication and Media Studies
Department faculty value concrete work in the areas of diversity,
equity and inclusion. Please submit a one-page statement in which
you describe your experiences with diversity in your teaching,
research, or service. Discuss your potential to support the
department’s commitment to diversity and to bring diversity to the
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * What is the highest earned degree that you possess? Please
include the degree program.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Professional References Contact Info. ONLY (minimum of 3)
- Other - See Special Instructions to Applicants