ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (10 MONTHS)
Assistant Professor, Performing Arts (Musical Director)
Academic Affairs, Division of
If Part-Time, enter FTE:
Is this a temporary position?
If Temporary, enter End Date:
SUNY Cortland is an engaged learning community that is committed to
promoting a diversity of thought and experience. We believe that an
equitable, inclusive and diverse campus and curriculum are critical
to our educational mission. Tenure-track faculty contribute to the
College’s values of inclusive excellence through outstanding
teaching, research and/or scholarship, service to the department
and college, and by providing academic advisement and mentoring
to/for all students. Faculty are expected to maintain a routine
presence on campus to support our Campus Values of Focusing on the
Students, Integrity, and Intellectual Life and serve our Campus
Priorities of Academic Excellence, Transformational Education,
Well-being, and the Maximization of Resources.
The Department of Performing Arts at SUNY Cortland is dedicated to
providing young artist/scholars seeking to pursue a career in the
Musical Theatre the skills needed to succeed in the professional
theatre, combined with a well-balanced, liberal arts education.
Students receive training in all three primary disciplines; music,
theatre and dance working with professional theatre artists in a
rigorous academic and studio environment.
- Teach courses in Musical Theatre History, Music Theory, Musical
Theatre Performance (Foundational, Intermediate and Advanced
levels), and teach other courses as expertise and program needs
- Serve as musical director for productions
- In consultation with Director/Choreographer, choose audition
material, adjudicate and cast productions
- Teach music to the entire cast
- Musically coach principle and ensemble cast members
- Hire and rehearse musicians as needed for pit orchestra
- Conduct pit for performances
- Act as the rehearsal accompanist
- Continued work in area of expertise in the professional
- Musically Direct department productions
JOB REQUIREMENTS :
- Recruit for the Musical Theatre Program. Attend and play for
program auditions in NYC and on campus. Actively participate in
developing recruitment strategies in collaboration with other
- Attend recruitment events/workshops/conventions with
prospective Musical Theatre students
- Advise Musical Theatre Majors in their academic progress.
- Actively participate in Department and College committees
- Must demonstrate a strong teaching skill; an extensive
knowledge of musical theatre repertoire and an informed awareness
of current trends and skills required to be a successful actor in
contemporary musical theatre
- Passion for working with young musical theatre artists,
including those from underrepresented or minoritized groups.
- Desire to continue the expansion of SUNY Cortland’s Musical
- Excellent keyboard skills
- Knowledge and commitment to musical theatre works related to
underrepresented or minoritized groups
Functional and Supervisory Relationships
- Reports to the academic department chair
- Works closely with department faculty
- Recruit musicians and lead pit orchestra as conductor
- Relevant master’s degree or commensurate education and
professional theatre experience is required.
- Significant experience working in professional musical theatre
as a musical director.
- Experience working with students in a collegiate musical
- Demonstrated commitment to addressing issues of social justice
- Master’s degree in Musical Theatre (highly preferred), or
degrees in both Music and Theatre with at least one at master’s
level or higher (M.F.A., Ph.D., DM).
- Broadway, national tour musical director experience
- Experience teaching in college musical theatre program
- Experience working on the development of original musicals
- Established relationship with a professional theatre
- Experience working with social media
- Experience in using technology in pit orchestra
The State University of New York College at Cortland is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with
Disabilities Act (AA/ EEO / ADA ) employer. The University actively
seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a
disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would
enrich the diversity of the University.
Job Close Date
Review Start Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * What is the highest earned degree that you possess? Please
include the degree program.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Professional References Contact Info. ONLY (minimum of 3)
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy